Limit of (1-2^n)/(1+2^n): Divergence Explained | Visual Calculus Archive

• Thread starter jhudson1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the series (1-2^n)/(1+2^n) is taken from the visual calculus archives with the goal of determining whether it is convergent. Checking with WolframAlpha, the limit of the series is found to be -1, indicating that the series is divergent by the Nth term test. However, the explanation provided by WolframAlpha involves some algebraic manipulation that may not be immediately apparent. There may be other, more efficient methods for solving this problem.
jhudson1
This problem is taken from the visual calculus archives:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/series.15/index.html

Determine whether the series is convergent:

infinity
Ʃ (1-2^n)/(1+2^n)
n=0

Checking this on WolframAlpha I see that the limit of the series is -1, so the series is divergent by the Nth term test. However, I don't understand why the limit is -1.

The explanation given by WolframAlpha seems to rely on some algebraic manipulation which does not immediately jump out at me. Is the process by which WolframAlpha arrived at the answer the most efficient? Should I have seen that? Or is there a better way?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+n+approaches+infinity+(1-2^n)/(1+2^n)

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{n\to{\infty}} \frac{1-2^n}{1+2^n}=\lim_{n\to{\infty}} \frac{2^n(1/2^n-1)}{2^n(1/2^n+1)}[/tex] Can you continue from here?

Sure. Using rules for limits...

[tex]\lim_{n\to{\infty}} \frac{2^n(1/2^n-1)}{2^n(1/2^n+1)} = \lim_{n\to{\infty}} \frac{2^n}{2^n}\times\lim_{n\to{\infty}}\frac{(1/2)^n-1}{(1/2)^n+1} \\=\lim_{n\to{\infty}} \frac{2^n}{2^n}\times\left [\lim_{n\to{\infty}}\frac{(1/2)^n}{(1/2)^n} + \lim_{n\to{\infty}}\frac{-1}{+1}\right ] [/tex]

The first term goes to 0, (inf/inf), which should make the other two terms go to zero regardless of what they come out to be. The third term must be where the final answer is coming from, but why?

"The first term goes to 0"? I'm not sure which you are referring to as the "first term" but both [itex]2^n/2^n[/itex] and [itex](1/2)^n/(1/2)^n[/itex] are equal to 1 for all x and so go to 1. Of course, -1/1= -1 for all n so its limit is 1.

You're right. I was looking at [tex]2^n/2^n[/tex] and thinking that the result would be [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex], or undefined or zero. Perhaps it is inappropriate to think of an undefined term as 0?

Either way I was wrong, because it isn't [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex] but rather [tex]2^{\infty}/2^{\infty}[/tex] which is certainly one.

jhudson1 said:
You're right. I was looking at [tex]2^n/2^n[/tex] and thinking that the result would be [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex], or undefined or zero. Perhaps it is inappropriate to think of an undefined term as 0?

Either way I was wrong, because it isn't [tex]\infty/\infty[/tex] but rather [tex]2^{\infty}/2^{\infty}[/tex] which is certainly one.
Unfortunately, you are still wrong and seem to have a completely wrong idea about limits.
The limit is NOT [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] nor is it [itex]2^\infty/2^\infty[/itex] since neither "[itex]\infty[/itex]" nor "[itex]2^\infty[/itex]" since neither of those is a number that can be a limit.

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, -1/1= -1 for all n so its limit is 1.

Why is the limit 1?

HallsofIvy said:
Unfortunately, you are still wrong and seem to have a completely wrong idea about limits.
The limit is NOT [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] nor is it [itex]2^\infty/2^\infty[/itex] since neither "[itex]\infty[/itex]" nor "[itex]2^\infty[/itex]" since neither of those is a number that can be a limit.

As n approaches infinity 2^n/2^n becomes larger and larger, but [tex]lim_{n\to\infty}[/tex]2^n/2^n will always be 1 because they grow larger and larger together.

1/1 = 1
32/32=1
4096/4096=1
2^2,000,000/2^2,000,000=1

If you think of it as f(x)=2^x/2^x, no matter what we put in as x (assuming x>0) we will never get anything >1

EDIT: clarify that I am talking about the limit

Flumpster said:
Why is the limit 1?

I think he meant -1

I'm new to this so I'm probably wrong, but here are my two cents:

I'm not sure splitting the limit like that works.

limit (1/2^n-1)/(1/2^n+1) doesn't equal limit (1/2^n)/(1/2^n) + limit (-1/1).

(x+a)/(x+b) doesn't equal x/x + a/b, it equals x/(x+b) + a/(x+b).

(also if your way is correct the limits end up being 1 X [1-1] which doesn't equal -1 which you said you know is the correct answer)

If you factor out the 2^n you're left with

(1/2^n-1)/(1/2^n+1) which if you evaluate as a whole piece and don't split it, gives you -1.

Like I said, probably wrong.

dividing both nominator and denominator by 2n yields [itex]\lim _{n\to\infty} \frac{\frac{1}{2^n}-1}{\frac{1}{2^n}+1}[/itex], which is trivial to evaluate, isn't it?

jhudson1 said:
This problem is taken from the visual calculus archives:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/series.15/index.html

Determine whether the series is convergent:

infinity
Ʃ (1-2^n)/(1+2^n)
n=0

Checking this on WolframAlpha I see that the limit of the series is -1, so the series is divergent by the Nth term test. However, I don't understand why the limit is -1.

The explanation given by WolframAlpha seems to rely on some algebraic manipulation which does not immediately jump out at me. Is the process by which WolframAlpha arrived at the answer the most efficient? Should I have seen that? Or is there a better way?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+n+approaches+infinity+(1-2^n)/(1+2^n)

Flumpster said:
Why is the limit 1?
That was a typo. I mean -1, of course.

You're right, I can't decompose that fraction that way. Take a look at this:

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2^n}{1+2^n}=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{1+2^n}-\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2^n}{1+2^n}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{1+2^n}=0[/tex]

Leaving us with

[tex]-\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{2^n}{1+2^n} = \frac{\lim_{n\to\infty}2^n}{\lim_{n\to\infty}1+2^n} = -1[/tex]

I may have made a mistake, but I feel good about this answer, but could someone tell me if there is an intermediate step in writing the last two steps? Because:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}2^n = \infty\text{ and}\lim_{n\to\infty}1+2^n=\infty[/tex]
[tex]\text{but} \frac{\infty}{\infty}\neq 1[/tex]

See what I mean?

klondike said:
dividing both nominator and denominator by 2n yields [itex]\lim _{n\to\infty} \frac{\frac{1}{2^n}-1}{\frac{1}{2^n}+1}[/itex], which is trivial to evaluate, isn't it?

Yes. That is very easy and very intuitive, at least in my mind.

Thanks, by the way!

Last edited:

1. What is a limit in math?

A limit in math is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of a function or sequence as it gets closer and closer to a specific input or index.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or rationalizing the numerator or denominator. You can also use graphical methods by looking at the behavior of the function on a graph. Additionally, you can use numerical methods by plugging in values closer and closer to the specific input value.

3. What is the importance of limits in calculus?

Limits are fundamental to calculus as they are used to define derivatives and integrals, which are key concepts in calculus. They also help to analyze the behavior of functions and sequences, and are essential in understanding rates of change and continuity.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function or sequence approaching a specific input value from one direction (either the left or right), while a two-sided limit considers the behavior from both directions. In other words, a one-sided limit only looks at the limit as the input approaches the specific value from one side, while a two-sided limit looks at the limit as the input approaches from both sides.

5. Can a limit exist even if the function is not defined at that value?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at that value. This is known as a removable discontinuity, where the function has a hole or gap at that specific value. The limit in this case is the value that the function would approach if the hole or gap were filled in.