What does the notation C = C1 U C2 mean?

• Thread starter tarmon.gaidon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, C = C1 U C2 is a mathematical notation representing the union of two sets. When applied to the example of A and B, it means all the elements that are in either A or B. Another related operation is intersection, denoted as A \bigcap B, which represents the elements that are in both A and B. The example given shows that C = C_1 U C_2 is the combination of two separate paths, represented by C_1 and C_2, and when integrated, the integrals from both paths are added together.
tarmon.gaidon
Hey Everyone,

This may be a silly question and I am able to interpret the intention of the notation but I am just curious exactly what it is.

I am attaching an image of the page out of my textbook and it is near the bottom. C = C1 U C2.

Sorry again if this is a silly question, I just wanted to make sure I understand this notation outside the context of this problem. I am sure I have seen it before but I am still not sure.

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• notation.JPG
    notation.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 396
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your attachment hasn't been approved yet.

Are you asking about C1 U C2? The U symbol is "union".

x is an element of A U B if x is an element of A or x is an element of B. The "or" really means "and/or" to include elements that might be in both sets.

For example, if A = {1, 2, 3, 5, 8} and B = {3, 6, 9, 12}, then A U B = {1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12}.

Another set operation is "intersection" [itex]\bigcap[/itex]. x is an element of A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B if x is an element of A and x is an element of B. Using the same example, A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B = {3}.

In this case [itex]C_1[/itex] is the straight line from (0, 2) to (3, 2) and [itex]C_2[/itex] is the straight line from (3,2) to (3,5). "[itex]C= C_1\cup C_2[/itex]" is the two paths put together: to integrate along C, integrate along [itex]C_1[/itex] and [itex]C_2[/itex] and add the two integrals.

1. What is notation in science?

Notation in science refers to the symbols, abbreviations, and terms used to represent and communicate scientific concepts, theories, and data. It is a standardized system of writing that allows scientists to share and understand information in a concise and precise manner.

2. Why is notation important in science?

Notation is important in science because it helps to simplify and organize complex information, making it easier to understand and analyze. It also allows for consistency and accuracy in communication between scientists and across different fields of study.

3. What are some common notations used in science?

Some common notations used in science include mathematical symbols, chemical formulas, abbreviations for units of measurement (e.g. m for meters, kg for kilograms), and scientific terms and symbols (e.g. DNA for deoxyribonucleic acid, H for hydrogen).

4. How is notation different from scientific language?

Notation is a standardized system of symbols and abbreviations used to represent scientific concepts and data, while scientific language refers to the specific words and phrases used to describe and explain these concepts. Notation is more universal and can be understood across different languages, while scientific language may vary depending on the context and discipline.

5. Can notation change over time?

Yes, notation in science can change over time as new discoveries are made and new technologies are developed. For example, the notation used to represent elements on the periodic table has changed over time as more elements were discovered and new methods of categorization were developed.