1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a proof

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    I have a question concerning a proof that two negatives makes a positive :
    One thing which I do not follow is, why the need to prove that -15 is really -15 ? We know that, (-5)+(-5)+(-5)=-15

Logically, I don't see what else it could be:biggrin: But in the above text, are we really trying to show that the number -15 is really -15 by adding it to positive 15 ?So if it really gives 0, we are sure to be in presence of negative fifteen(3.-5=-15) ? Or is there anything that I've missed about it ? ANy help would appreciated ! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This all depends on which axioms and number system you work with.

You seem to be under the impression that ##3\cdot (-5)## is defined as adding ##-5## three times. This is fine when working with natural numbers, but this definition breaks down pretty fast. For example, how would you interpret

[tex]\pi\times \sqrt{2}[/tex]

There is no natural interpretation here as addition.

Usually, in the real numbers, addition and multiplication are introduced separately. Multiplication is not defined as addition.

It would help us if you would mention what axioms you're working with or how addition and multiplication are defined.
    Furthermore, given a number ##a##, how did you define ##-a##?

4. Aug 2, 2013 #3
    Well, there is no real definition given, it's just an explanation given out by IM Gelfand in his Algebra. Here's the rest :
    But about what I was saying that 3.-5=-15
    He wanted to prove that -15 was really the answer ? Didn't he ? The reason why I ask this is because it's the first time that I see someone trying to prove -15 as the answer.

5. Aug 2, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, he wanted to prove -15 is the answer. But it's a bit a failed attempt since he doesn't really state what he's starting from. I know what he means, but I do realize it looks strange and unmotivated for you.

His point is that there is no a priori reason why a negative times a negative should produce a positive. Teenagers memorize this as a rule, but it really is quite arbitrary. If we wanted to make a mathematics where negative times negative is negative, then we could. Gelfand tries to explain why we don't take this convention.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    Ah ok, thank you for your answer. I just found it weird, because like you said(I only have high school education), I've never questionned myself for trying to prove that 3.-5=-15. It just distabilized me a bit xD
    Thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook