1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a sequence.

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the convergence or divergence of an = np / en

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using L'Hopitals Rule, I get (p(nP-1en) - nPen) / e2n which, if I take the limit as n [itex]\rightarrow[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] I still get [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] which doesn't help. I can see if a sequence converges to 0, i'm not sure how to show that it does, in general other than taking the limit or using L'Hopital.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For one thing that's not l'Hopital, that's the quotient rule. l'Hopital isn't that. For a second thing I don't think l'Hopital is very helpful anyway. Why don't you take the log of your sequence and try to show the log approaches -infinity. That would show the sequence approaches 0, right?

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

The form of the sequence is primed for use of the ratio test - if we show the limit of the ratios of consecutive terms is less than 1, then this sequence is eventually smaller than a geometric sequence whose ratio is less than 1, so...

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4
    This is true, I made the mistake of using quotient rule when I meant to apply L'Hopital. I knew it would happen sooner or later :blushing:. Well, it seems so. Again, thanks.

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5
    Gib Z, thank you for your reply. Although I would love to use the ratio test, it so happens that I just haven't gone that far into the chapter to know how to use the ratio test. Coming attractions I suppose :tongue2: thanks for the insight!

7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you try showing log(n^p/e^n) approaches -infinity? Use that log(n)/n approaches 0. You can prove that with l'Hopital.

8. Jul 3, 2011 #7
    an = pn/en
    ln(an) = nln(p)/nln(e) [lne = 1 so i'm going to just write n here]
    ln(an) = nln(p)/n
    ln(an) = ln(p)
    lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]ln(an) = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ](ln(p))

my problem, something i'm not seeing or something I have messed up, is that my term on the right * ln(p) * does nothing when I take the limit [ n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]

9. Jul 4, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

log(a/b) isn't log(a)/log(b). It's log(a)-log(b).

10. Jul 5, 2011 #9
    okay, so I have
    {an} = np/en, p > 0
    ln{an} = pln(n) - n p > 0
    lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]] n p > 0
    lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - [itex]\infty[/itex] p > 0
    i'm sorry, i'm really not seeing where this is going. I was thinking of working backwards once I showed {an} converged to 0.

11. Jul 5, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write p*log(n)-n as n*(p*log(n)/n-1). As n->infinity how does log(n)/n behave?

12. Jul 5, 2011 #11
    I believe it converges to zero.

13. Jul 5, 2011 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use l'Hopital to show it does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook