Does the Sequence an = np / en Converge or Diverge?

• Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: As n->infinity how does log(n)/n behave?In summary, Gib Z said that the sequence an converges to zero, but he is not sure how to show it. He also said that he is not familiar with the ratio test. He asked me if I could help him understand how to use the ratio test.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

Determine the convergence or divergence of an = np / en

The Attempt at a Solution

Using L'Hopitals Rule, I get (p(nP-1en) - nPen) / e2n which, if I take the limit as n [itex]\rightarrow[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] I still get [itex]\infty/\infty[/itex] which doesn't help. I can see if a sequence converges to 0, I'm not sure how to show that it does, in general other than taking the limit or using L'Hopital.

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing that's not l'Hopital, that's the quotient rule. l'Hopital isn't that. For a second thing I don't think l'Hopital is very helpful anyway. Why don't you take the log of your sequence and try to show the log approaches -infinity. That would show the sequence approaches 0, right?

The form of the sequence is primed for use of the ratio test - if we show the limit of the ratios of consecutive terms is less than 1, then this sequence is eventually smaller than a geometric sequence whose ratio is less than 1, so...

Dick said:
For one thing that's not l'Hopital, that's the quotient rule. l'Hopital isn't that. For a second thing I don't think l'Hopital is very helpful anyway. Why don't you take the log of your sequence and try to show the log approaches -infinity. That would show the sequence approaches 0, right?
This is true, I made the mistake of using quotient rule when I meant to apply L'Hopital. I knew it would happen sooner or later :blushing:. Well, it seems so. Again, thanks.

Gib Z said:
The form of the sequence is primed for use of the ratio test - if we show the limit of the ratios of consecutive terms is less than 1, then this sequence is eventually smaller than a geometric sequence whose ratio is less than 1, so...
Gib Z, thank you for your reply. Although I would love to use the ratio test, it so happens that I just haven't gone that far into the chapter to know how to use the ratio test. Coming attractions I suppose :tongue2: thanks for the insight!

icesalmon said:
This is true, I made the mistake of using quotient rule when I meant to apply L'Hopital. I knew it would happen sooner or later :blushing:. Well, it seems so. Again, thanks.

Did you try showing log(n^p/e^n) approaches -infinity? Use that log(n)/n approaches 0. You can prove that with l'Hopital.

an = pn/en
ln(an) = nln(p)/nln(e) [lne = 1 so I'm going to just write n here]
ln(an) = nln(p)/n
ln(an) = ln(p)
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]ln(an) = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ](ln(p))

my problem, something I'm not seeing or something I have messed up, is that my term on the right * ln(p) * does nothing when I take the limit [ n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]

icesalmon said:
an = pn/en
ln(an) = nln(p)/nln(e) [lne = 1 so I'm going to just write n here]
ln(an) = nln(p)/n
ln(an) = ln(p)
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]ln(an) = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ](ln(p))

my problem, something I'm not seeing or something I have messed up, is that my term on the right * ln(p) * does nothing when I take the limit [ n -> [itex]\infty[/itex] ]

log(a/b) isn't log(a)/log(b). It's log(a)-log(b).

okay, so I have
{an} = np/en, p > 0
ln{an} = pln(n) - n p > 0
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]] n p > 0
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - [itex]\infty[/itex] p > 0
i'm sorry, I'm really not seeing where this is going. I was thinking of working backwards once I showed {an} converged to 0.

icesalmon said:
okay, so I have
{an} = np/en, p > 0
ln{an} = pln(n) - n p > 0
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]] n p > 0
lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]{an} = lim[n -> [itex]\infty[/itex]]pln(n) - [itex]\infty[/itex] p > 0
i'm sorry, I'm really not seeing where this is going. I was thinking of working backwards once I showed {an} converged to 0.

Write p*log(n)-n as n*(p*log(n)/n-1). As n->infinity how does log(n)/n behave?

I believe it converges to zero.

icesalmon said:
I believe it converges to zero.

Use l'Hopital to show it does.

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each individual number or object in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you must first identify the pattern or rule that the sequence is following. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to determine the next term in the sequence.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence in which the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while a geometric sequence is a sequence in which the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

4. How can sequences be used in real life?

Sequences can be used in various real-life applications, such as in financial planning, population growth, and even in music and art. They can help us make predictions and understand patterns in the world around us.

5. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a famous sequence in which each term is the sum of the two previous terms, starting with 0 and 1. It is often found in nature, such as in the pattern of a sunflower or the branching of a tree.