What is the shape of an electron in an atom?

• Thread starter Silverback88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the shape of electrons in atoms and how they do not have a specific shape, but rather occupy a volume of space around the nucleus. The concept of orbiting electrons is incorrect and the shape of the electron's orbital is influenced by factors such as electron repulsion and the Pauli principle. The electron is often compared to a "smeared" shape or a hollow sphere in an analogy.
Silverback88
I am referring to the short post in the sticky, referred to as "WHY DON’T ELECTRONS CRASH INTO THE NUCLEUS IN ATOMS?"

the “electron” occupies a volume of space simultaneously, so that it is “smeared” in a particular geometry around the nucleus.

Simple question: what shape is the electron then? Is it a ring, or a hollow sphere, ect? What shape will ensure that they don't collide?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is incorrect to imagine the electron having a shape, and it is incorrect to imagine electrons orbiting the nucleus. Scroll down to the "orbitals table" to see what an atom with a single electron looks like, for various values of energy and angular momentum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital

In relativistic quantum mechanics we find it necessary to make the electron a point particle, since otherwise it would tear itself apart with internal forces. But this is not something that anyone can or will ever measure, it is just part of the mathematical framework.

Silverback88 said:
Simple question: what shape is the electron then?

This was already addressed, but electrons don't have a shape, rather they're referring to the shape of their pattern of motion, or rather, density. The shape of the space that they occupy is what's called an orbital.

What shape will ensure that they don't collide?

It's the other way around, really. First, electrons repel each other since they have the same electric charge (negative). Second, there's a 'rule' in quantum physics (the Pauli priniciple), that dictates that they can't occupy the same point in space (unless they have opposite 'spin).

So, the shape of the orbitals are largely dictated by these effects.

Thanks.

I found this excerpt in the WIki article, that tells of a shape like a hollow sphere:

A more accurate analogy might be that of a large and often oddly-shaped atmosphere (the electron), distributed around a relatively tiny planet (the atomic nucleus).

I appreciate the answers. Good day.

1. What is a sticky post and how does it work?

A sticky post is a feature on some websites or forums that allows certain posts to remain at the top of a page or discussion thread. This means that the post will always be visible and easily accessible to users, even as new posts are added. This is often used to highlight important or popular posts.

2. How do I make a post sticky?

The process for making a post sticky will vary depending on the website or forum you are using. In most cases, there will be an option to "pin" or "sticky" a post when creating or editing it. This may also be available in the post's settings or options menu.

3. Can I make any post sticky?

It depends on the website or forum's settings. Some may allow all users to make their posts sticky, while others may only allow moderators or administrators to do so. Check the site's guidelines or ask a moderator for more information.

4. How do I remove a post from being sticky?

To remove a post from being sticky, you will need to access the post's settings or options menu. There should be an option to "unpin" or "unsticky" the post. Once selected, the post will no longer be at the top of the page or discussion thread.

5. Can I make a sticky post on a mobile device?

Most websites and forums will have the option to make a post sticky on a mobile device. However, the process may be slightly different or may not be available on all devices. If you are having trouble, try accessing the site on a computer or contacting the website's support team for assistance.