• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Question about acceleration/forces

• Thread starter Banana15
  • Start date
My homework question asks...
"If you stand next to a wall on a frictionless skateboard and push the wall with a force of 30 N, how hward does the wall push on you? If your mass is 60 kg, what is your acceleration?"
I figured that the wall pushes on you with a force of 30 N back, but what is the net force to be used in the equation to find acceleration? Is it 0, or 30?

Try to imagine the problem. What would happen if YOU were in the same position. Would you stand still? No. So use 30=60.a

Banana15 said:
My homework question asks...
"If you stand next to a wall on a frictionless skateboard and push the wall with a force of 30 N, how hward does the wall push on you? If your mass is 60 kg, what is your acceleration?"
I figured that the wall pushes on you with a force of 30 N back, but what is the net force to be used in the equation to find acceleration? Is it 0, or 30?
only 1 horizontal force is acting on you -- that of the wall pushing back on you with 30 N force.

the "other" horizontal force (you pushing the wall) is not acting on you, but rather is acting on the wall

to calculate horizontal acceleration, use F = ma

Last edited:
You wouldn't stand still, so it would be 30 divided by 60?

Last edited:
geosonel said:
only 1 horizontal force is acting on you -- that of the wall pushing back on you with 30 N force
the "other" horizontal force (you pushing the wall) is not acting on you, but rather is acting on the wall

now use F = ma
thanks that really clears things up!

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses