Does a positron in Beta+ decay interact with electrons outside the nucleus?

• Thread starter Jabberwockk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of anti-matter and anti-particles, specifically the positron as the antiparticle of an electron. It was mentioned that when a particle and an antiparticle meet, they annihilate each other. The question was raised about what happens in a Beta+ decay, where a proton is converted into a positron. It was explained that the positron usually flies away and loses energy before eventually annihilating with an electron. The conversation also touched on the possibility of an emitted positron undergoing elastic or inelastic scattering instead of annihilation.
Jabberwockk
Hi guys,
Well I read about Anti Matter, and i came across the term Anti particle and how a positron is the antiparticle of an electron, so when a particle and an antiparticle meet they're supposed to annihilate each other.
So in case of a Beta+ decay where a proton is converted into a positron in the nuclei, does the postiron enter in contact with the electrons once it's out of the nuclei?
I hope it's not too ambiguous and I'm looking forward to an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jabberwockk said:
so when a particle and an antiparticle meet they're supposed to annihilate each other.
This is one option that can happen.
Jabberwockk said:
So in case of a Beta+ decay where a proton is converted into a positron in the nuclei, does the postiron enter in contact with the electrons once it's out of the nuclei?
Usually it flies away, loses some energy by "colliding" with electrons and nuclei in the surrounding matter, and only when it lost most of its energy it annihilates with an electron somewhere. Positron emission tomography uses the produced radiation for imaging.

I can't think of a valid reason as to why an emitted positron annihilating with a ground state electron isn't physically indistinguishable from electron capture?

mfb said:
This is one option that can happen.

Is the other option elastic scattering?

Stephen Hodgson said:
I can't think of a valid reason as to why an emitted positron annihilating with a ground state electron isn't physically indistinguishable from electron capture?

That's beyond what I know xD

Stephen Hodgson said:
It's probably a matter of definition, you could study the photon emission (1 or more? energies?) to split it in categories.

Jabberwockk said:
Is the other option elastic scattering?
And inelastic scattering, if the energy is sufficient.

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as their corresponding particles but have opposite electric charge and other quantum numbers.

2. How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created through high-energy collisions between particles, such as in particle accelerators. It can also be produced naturally in certain radioactive decays.

3. Can antimatter be harnessed as an energy source?

Yes, antimatter has the potential to be a powerful energy source due to its ability to release energy when it comes into contact with matter. However, currently, the production and storage of antimatter is extremely difficult and costly.

4. Is antimatter dangerous?

Antimatter is not inherently dangerous, as it only becomes a threat when it comes into contact with matter. The biggest concern with antimatter is its potential for use in weapons, but this is currently not a practical possibility.

5. What are the potential applications of antimatter?

Antimatter has potential uses in medical imaging, cancer treatment, and propulsion systems for space travel. However, more research and technological advancements are needed before these applications can be fully realized.