Area of Shaded Region: Solve without Year 9 Maths

• Thread starter tony24810
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the area of a shaded region shown in a picture. The method used involves setting a formula on the xy plane and using the point of intersection of two lines to calculate the area of the shaded region. The point of intersection is (7/21/47, 1/23/47) and the area is 4/37/47 cm^2. However, the question requires that no methods beyond year 9 are to be used. Another method is suggested using similar triangles to find the distance from the bottom and right side of the square to the point of intersection. This method is considered more elegant and acceptable for a 9th year student.
tony24810
As shown in the picture, area of shaded region is required.

By setting formula on xy plane, the point of intersection can be deduced and hence calculated by 2 triangles and 1 square.

from my calculation, set left bottom corner as (0,0), then point of intersection is (7/21/47,1/23/47), and area of shaded region would be 4/37/47 cm^2 (4.7872 cm^2).

However, the question requires that no methods beyond year 9 are to be used.

I have tried mainly simultaneous equations mainly, adding subtracting etc and couldn't figure this out.

someone please help.well I'm not sure if this should be posted on homework section or other section, please do let me know if I'm making a mistake, thanks

Attachments

• maths q1.JPG
    maths q1.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea what "7/21/47" means! I could interpret it as either (7/21)/47 or 7/(21/47) but those are very different. In any case, I get
[tex]\left(\frac{350}{47}, \frac{70}{47}\right)[/tex]
as the point to intersection.

i wrote "7/21/47", what i mean is 7 plus 21/47, like how you type in calculator, not sure what the correct notation for computer is.

anyhow, 530/47, 70/47 is exactly what i got too, same thing

but i can't do it without using xy plane. it's meant for year 7 student, olympic maths...

That's a very strange calculator!
[tex]7+ \frac{21}{47}= \frac{350}{47}[/tex]
and
[tex]1+ \frac{23}{47}= \frac{70}{47}[/tex]
just what I said so, yes, you have the correct point.

I'm not sure why your "year 7" (you said "year 9" before) is like but I just used the equations of straight lines.

well I'm a private tutor of a year 7 kid and his school teacher gave their class this challenge question and states that no advance method should be used.

i was thinking that some methods similar to those shown in these 2 pictures should be used...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 339
Well, this sort of uses the xy plane, but not in so many words:

Let the intersection point be distance h from the bottom of the square and distance w from the RHS.
Mark the points:
ABCD are the corners of the square, starting top right and going clockwise.
The angled lines are CG (G being the intersection with AB) and AH.
I is the point of intersection of CG, AH.
E is the point on AB nearest I
F is the point on BC nearest I
By similar trangles AEI, ABH:
w = (10-h)*3/10
and using CFI, CBG:
h = (10-w)*2/10
etc.

haruspex said:
Well, this sort of uses the xy plane, but not in so many words:

Let the intersection point be distance h from the bottom of the square and distance w from the RHS.
Mark the points:
ABCD are the corners of the square, starting top right and going clockwise.
The angled lines are CG (G being the intersection with AB) and AH.
I is the point of intersection of CG, AH.
E is the point on AB nearest I
F is the point on BC nearest I
By similar trangles AEI, ABH:
w = (10-h)*3/10
and using CFI, CBG:
h = (10-w)*2/10
etc.

I tried this problem the co-ordinate geometry way, like the OP, but it didn't result in much fun, even though I did find the answer after some work. This method is really very ingenious and elegant(and quite acceptable for a 9th year)! :smile:

Thanks for sharing, haruspex.

cool!

thanks haruspex, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

1. What is the "area of shaded region"?

The "area of shaded region" refers to the total amount of space inside a figure or shape that is shaded in. It is a measurement of the surface area that is covered by the shaded portion.

2. Why is it important to solve for the area of shaded region?

Solving for the area of shaded region is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of space that is covered by the shaded portion. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as determining the amount of paint needed to cover a wall with a shaded design or calculating the amount of fabric needed for a shaded pattern on a piece of clothing.

3. How do I solve for the area of shaded region without using Year 9 Maths?

There are several methods for solving for the area of shaded region without using Year 9 Maths. One method is to break the shaded region into smaller, simpler shapes and then calculate the area of each shape individually. Another method is to use basic geometric formulas, such as the area of a circle or triangle, to calculate the area of the shaded region.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the area of shaded region?

Yes, as long as the unit of measurement is consistent throughout the calculation. The most common units used for measuring area are square centimeters, square meters, and square feet, but you can use any unit of measurement as long as it is squared (i.e. cm^2, m^2, ft^2).

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the area of shaded region?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for calculating the area of shaded region. For example, architects and interior designers often use this calculation to determine the amount of flooring, wallpaper, or paint needed for a room with a shaded design. It is also used in landscaping to calculate the amount of mulch or gravel needed for a shaded area or to determine the size of a shaded deck or patio.