Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about barbell weight distribution

1. Jul 27, 2005 #1
    Does it make a difference on a barbell how far apart the weights are from the centre? For example, if you've got a long pole with weights right at the end, compared to a shorter pole with the same amount of weight but closer together (putting aside the differences in pole weight), would the long one be harder to press or lift? My gut says no, yet... here I am asking.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2005 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The longer the pole, the more stable the barbell will be in your hands. That might make it a little easier to lift, compared to a short barbell where you might have to invest a little energy into balancing the left and right sides as you lift. Other than that, it seems like equal weights would require the same effort.

4. Jul 27, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

In reality, you do face the problem of longer bars bending and then having to compensate by balancing again. I think for most average guys with normal amounts of weights, the longer is better. It helps spread the balancing forces around to more muscles where the shorter bar or individual dumbells require smaller muscle groups to do the balancing which makes it seem a bit tougher to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?