Which substances in this equation are acid and base?

• Thread starter omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Base
In summary, in the given equation, HNO3 is the acid and CH3NH2 is the base. This is because HNO3 donates a proton and CH3NH2 accepts a proton. On the left side of the equation, CH3N(+)H3 is the acid and NO3- is the base. This can be determined by observing which species donates or accepts a proton in the equilibrium.
omni
i need to mark all the Base and Acid in the Equation (in the picture) and tell why i think i choose Them to be acid and base

i mark the Acid in red line and the Base in blue line, tell me if i Right.

my Explanation is HNO is Acid and it give proton While CH3NH2 is base and it gain in the proton but about the other Materials in the Equation i am not sure who is base and who is acid and i need your help here.

thanks.

Attachments

• 090.JPG
    090.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
omni said:
i need to mark all the Base and Acid in the Equation (in the picture) and tell why i think i choose Them to be acid and base

i mark the Acid in red line and the Base in blue line, tell me if i Right.

my Explanation is HNO is Acid and it give proton While CH3NH2 is base and it gain in the proton but about the other Materials in the Equation i am not sure who is base and who is acid and i need your help here.

thanks.

If all the picture is, is 1 equation, can you consider typing it out to help the search function here?

Anyway, on the right hand side of the equation, which species is donating a proton, and which is accepting it?

sure i can typing it here but if i will do it is will be really Unclear.

CH3+HNO3<---->NO-3+CH3NH+3for your answer:NO3 is donating proton and CH3NH is accepting proton yes?

omni said:
sure i can typing it here but if i will do it is will be really Unclear.

Have a look at the formatting options above where you type, so you can write this out as

CH3NH2 + HNO3 <-> CH3N(+)H3 + NO3-

omni said:
for your answer:NO3 is donating proton and CH3NH is accepting proton yes?

Not quite, where is the proton for NO3- to donate?

ok thanks for let me know about the formatting options.

well tell me if i Right in the way that i mark the Materials on the Left side.

"Not quite, where is the proton for NO3- to donate? "

well so i don't really know. what is the way to know if Material donate or accept proton?

I thought NO3- donate proton Because the (-) i know proton is Positive and if some Material will donate proton he will become more Negative.

thanks

Yes, the red and blue in your image are right. There is no proton (or H+) for NO3- to donate within this structure.

If we write the equilibrium the other way around, as CH3N(+)H3 + NO3- <-> CH3NH2 + HNO3, which species on the left hand side has protons.

Of course this will not always work, but is good enough for this example

so in the left side CH3N(+)H3 is the acid and NO3- is the base?

thanks

omni said:
so in the left side CH3N(+)H3 is the acid and NO3- is the base?

thanks

Methylammonium is the acid on the left-hand side of the reversed equation, yes.

thank you very much.

What is the difference between a base and an acid?

A base is a substance that can accept or neutralize hydrogen ions, while an acid is a substance that can donate hydrogen ions. In other words, bases have a higher pH (greater than 7) and acids have a lower pH (less than 7).

How do bases and acids react with each other?

When a base and an acid are mixed together, they undergo a neutralization reaction where the base accepts the hydrogen ions from the acid, forming water and a salt. This results in the decrease of the concentration of both the base and the acid.

What is the pH scale and how is it related to bases and acids?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH below 7 are considered acidic, while solutions with a pH above 7 are considered basic. The pH of a solution is determined by the concentration of hydrogen ions present.

What are some common examples of bases and acids?

Bases include substances like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), ammonia, and soap. Acids include substances like lemon juice (citric acid), vinegar (acetic acid), and stomach acid (hydrochloric acid).

Can bases and acids be dangerous?

Yes, some bases and acids can be dangerous if not handled properly. Strong acids and bases can cause burns and damage to tissues. It is important to always handle them with caution and follow proper safety protocols.