Question about being an actuary

• Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Actuary
In summary, getting hired as an actuary in the US is difficult, but with the right background and study program, it is possible. Passing the actuarial exams is essential, but there are many ways to prepare for them.
kramer733
What's the process like? I've heard there are many exams to write and they are quite difficult. Is it possible to be prepared in writing the actuarial exam by taking a 3 year general math degree? Would you guys recommend a statistics degree instead of a math degree? What classes should i be taking to prepare myself in the road for being an actuary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you located? Becoming an actuary varies by country; it is a very different process in France than the UK, and both are different from the US. I only know about the US process.

What is your background?

I found the tests given in the US very difficult.

The very first test (US) is similar to the GRE math test. Most insurance companies will hire a person who has taken the first test, then have classes for succeeding tests.

Thanks for your input HallsofIvy. I personally found the first actuarial exam (1/P) to be much harder than the GRE math test, but I think the comparison is good. Someone with a good probability and statistics background might agree and I think it speaks highly of you that you felt they were similar difficulty.

I was hired with one exam passed (the second, FM/2, actually), and there are other examples of this. However, this has become increasingly rare. The general consensus is that students hired these days typically have at least two and often more exams. The first two exams are easier than the other exams and I’d suggest they be knocked out quickly to maximize the chance of employment. While pass rates are typically low (30%-50%, tending around 40%), the early exams are offered with increasing frequency and many applicants have several under their belt.

Most companies in the US have study programs, but they are very different than traditional classes. Students are essentially responsible for teaching themselves the material. There are seminars, but I found that these were not very helpful if I did not already know the material (but were very helpful improving my skills on material I knew). Most companies will pay for exam fees, study aids and a seminar, and also have a number of study hours. It is quite common to hear about actuarial students having difficulty finding time to actually take their study hours, especially at consulting shops.

kramer, one suggestion i can give you is to go to your respective actuarial organization in your country and look at either prior or sample exams. This should give you a better idea of what you are going to be in for.

I live in Canada. I think i'll take chiro's advice.

Getting your letters in Canada will be essentially the same as the US, though there are some different professional organizations. You'll be taking the same tests as your US counterparts.

However the typical educational track and EL job situation are very different. Canada has a number of universities with very good actuarial programs that produce large numbers of students with several exams taken and (typically) internships. You can make an argument that they produce more actuaries than the Canadian market can handle, but those actuaries often find it tough to get jobs in the US.

This shouldn't stop you if you've got a great work ethic. You'll graduate with more exams and more experience than most students in the US do, which means a shorter time being a student on the job. But I do think you should be aware that the competition will be significant. Hard work and networking will overcome that challenge.

1. What is an actuary?

An actuary is a professional who uses mathematical and statistical methods to assess and manage financial risks. They are primarily employed in the insurance industry to analyze data and create policies that minimize risk for the company and its clients.

2. What skills are required to become an actuary?

To become an actuary, one must have strong analytical and mathematical skills. They should also have a solid understanding of economics, finance, and statistics. Good communication skills and the ability to think critically are also important for this profession.

3. What are the educational requirements to become an actuary?

Most employers require a bachelor's degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, or a related field. Some may also require candidates to have a master's degree in actuarial science or a related field. Additionally, aspiring actuaries must pass a series of exams administered by professional organizations such as the Society of Actuaries or the Casualty Actuarial Society.

4. What are the job responsibilities of an actuary?

Actuaries are responsible for analyzing and interpreting data to assess risks and determine the likelihood of future events. They use this information to help companies make informed decisions about insurance policies, investments, and other financial matters. They may also communicate their findings to clients and other stakeholders.

5. What is the job outlook for actuaries?

The job outlook for actuaries is very positive, with a projected growth of 18% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for risk management and data analysis in various industries, including insurance, finance, and healthcare.