Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about black holes

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    Okay, I am new here and I guess you could say I am a little new to Einsteins theory of relativity, but I am trying so bear with me here.

Okay, I remember reading somewhere that the size (not mass) of a black hole makes a difference of what happens when your getting sucked in theoretically speaking. If the black hole is a certain size you will get pulled in differently. Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi DARTZ! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    No, size and mass are the same thing: the size of a black hole is uniquely determined by its mass: R = 2Gm/c2. :smile:

(also, black holes have no "sucky-power": you orbit or crash in the same way that you orbit or crash into an ordinary star or planet)

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you fall into a (non-rotating, uncharged) black hole, your body will get ripped apart by tidal forces, and where this happens depends on the size of the black hole. If the black hole is small enough, this happen outside (the event horizon of) the black hole; If the black hole is large enough, this happens inside (the event horizon of) the black hole.

As tiny-tim has noted, black hole size and mass are related.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook