Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about BPS solitions

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    From what I've read earlier, the definition of a BPS soliton is a soliton satisfying a Bogomolny bound (mass bounded from below). Now, I have encountered another definition, which says that a BPS soliton is a soliton preserving (at least some) supersymmetry. I don't really understand the connection between these two definitions. An explanation of this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2
    The Bogomolny bound is independent from supersymmetry. It describes a minimum energy solution of the classical field equations. However, there is a priori no reason why it should hold when quantum corrections are included.

This is where supersymmetry comes to the rescure: if the solution preserves some supersymmetry, then there are no such quantum corerections and the Bogomolny bound is true also in the full quantum theory. This fact allows to make exact non-perturbative statements in supersymmetric gauge and string theories (which would be almost impossible to make in theories without supersymmetry).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook