Does an object in absolute reference state have zero mass?

• Thread starter Cale C.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, an object that approaches the speed of light gains infinite mass. However, only the so-called "relativistic" mass increases without bound.
Cale C.
Please forgive me for mistakes I am learning.

If as an object approaches the speed of light it gains infinite mass then would an object in a absolute reference state have zero mass? (I understand the problems with an absolute reference state existing, but I am talking theory here)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "absolute reference state". Perhaps you mean a reference frame in which the object is at rest? In any case, it's only the so-called "relativistic" mass that increases without bound in a frame in which the object's speed approaches light speed. In the rest frame the mass would be the normal, everyday invariant mass. (Not zero mass!)

[tex]m' = \frac{m}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

where m' is the relativistic mass, and m is the ordinary mass. When v = 0, m' = m.

Doc Al said:
I don't know what you mean by "absolute reference state". Perhaps you mean a reference frame in which the object is at rest? In any case, it's only the so-called "relativistic" mass that increases without bound in a frame in which the object's speed approaches light speed. In the rest frame the mass would be the normal, everyday invariant mass. (Not zero mass!)

[tex]m' = \frac{m}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

where m' is the relativistic mass, and m is the ordinary mass. When v = 0, m' = m.

I actually meant a reference frame of absolute zero velocity.

Can there be a true "rest frame" Since everything has velocity in reference to something?

Cale C. said:

Can there be a true "rest frame" Since everything has velocity in reference to something?
There is not such a thing as a true rest frame. This was shown in 1887 when the Michelson-Morley experiment was done. They tried to prove the existence of aether, but they failed and showed there was no such thing as aether (and thus absolute rest).

It is quite a long story to post it all, but you should google on Michelson-Morley to find out how it works :) .

ImAnEngineer said:
There is not such a thing as a true rest frame. This was shown in 1887 when the Michelson-Morley experiment was done. They tried to prove the existence of aether, but they failed and showed there was no such thing as aether (and thus absolute rest).

It is quite a long story to post it all, but you should google on Michelson-Morley to find out how it works :) .

I will and thank you for all your time and assistance.

I promise I am learning.

just a question.. there may not be a True Rest Frame now.. but what about before.

Before the big bang when everything was in a finite space - would that not have been a True Rest Frame?

Cale C. said:

Right, there's no such thing as an "absolute" or "true" rest frame, as all velocities are relative. But an object can certainly be at rest with respect to some particular inertial frame.

The phrase 'before the big bang' is difficult because there was no time until the BB, so nothing can be earlier. This sounds contradictory but I've been told ( and I've read ) that this is not a paradox. To me it is but I don't lose sleep over it.

Cale C. said:
I will and thank you for all your time and assistance.

I promise I am learning.

just a question.. there may not be a True Rest Frame now.. but what about before.

Before the big bang when everything was in a finite space - would that not have been a True Rest Frame?
This becomes a totally different question. I'm not sure if there was space before the big bang (I guess it is believed by physicists that there was no space-time before then), so then it doesn't make sense to talk about frames of reference, because there wasn't anything to refer to.

I'm not sure though, maybe others have a different opinion.

You're welcome, by the way!

ImAnEngineer said:
This becomes a totally different question. I'm not sure if there was space before the big bang (I guess it is believed by physicists that there was no space-time before then), so then it doesn't make sense to talk about frames of reference, because there wasn't anything to refer to.

I'm not sure though, maybe others have a different opinion.

You're welcome, by the way!

Thank you again.

I must turn off my dads computer or he will be angry.
I will move the rest of my questions to another forum as they have now evolved to another topic.

Cale C. said:
Thank you again.

I must turn off my dads computer or he will be angry.
I will move the rest of my questions to another forum as they have now evolved to another topic.
Tell your dad you're doing physics and he'll go nice on you :smile:

1. What is the relationship between C and mass?

The relationship between C and mass is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation states that energy (E) is equal to the product of mass (m) and the speed of light (c) squared. This means that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

2. How does the speed of light affect mass?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a constant in Einstein's equation. This means that as the speed of light increases, so does the amount of energy needed to create a given amount of mass. In other words, the higher the speed of light, the more energy is required to create a specific amount of mass.

3. Can mass be created or destroyed?

According to the Law of Conservation of Mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted into different forms. This means that while mass can be transformed into energy and vice versa, the total amount of mass in a closed system will remain constant.

4. How does C relate to the theory of relativity?

C, or the speed of light, is a fundamental constant in Einstein's theory of relativity. This theory explains how objects in the universe behave at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. C plays a crucial role in this theory by defining the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

5. What is the significance of C in particle physics?

In particle physics, C is used to measure the energy and mass of subatomic particles. The speed of light is a limiting factor in how fast particles can travel and how much energy they can have. By measuring the speed of particles and their energy levels, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.