Is Chirality Necessary in Theories of Physics?

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chirality
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of chirality and how it applies to different theories in physics. Chirality appears in the standard model due to the transformation of left and right handed components under the Lorentz Group. One example of a non-chiral theory is the compactification of a 5D Dirac Action. However, extended supersymmetric theories (N>1) also cannot be chiral. The speaker is seeking clarification and welcomes any corrections or new information.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I would like to ask, to make it clearer to me, what does chirality means? and how can someone see whether his theory can be chiral or not?
I think chirality in the standard model appears due to the fact that the left and right handed components are transformed not identically under the Lorentz Group (or in other words the Lorentz Group is isomorphic to the [itex]SU(2)_{L} \times SU(2)_{R}[/itex]
One example I came across this question was when I first saw the compactification of a 5D Dirac Action to a 4D one + circle . In that case you end up with a non-chiral theory, and that was because (as it was illustrated to me) the mass term for the zero-th mode, would appear in the form:
[itex] (\bar{\psi}_{R} \psi_{L} - \bar{\psi}_{L} \psi_{R}) [/itex]
and due to the minus it was supposed to be non-chiral. The problem is solved once the compactification is done on an orbifold.

However, there are also other cases in which I came across that the theory cannot be chiral. For example the extended supersymmetric theories ([itex]N>1[/itex]). In this case I am still unable to see how that can be true.

Any clues?
Also if you find a mistake in anything I wrote, feel free to correct me.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Likes 1 person

1. What is chirality and how does it relate to theories of physics?

Chirality refers to the property of a molecule or particle being non-superimposable on its mirror image. In theories of physics, chirality plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.

2. Why is chirality necessary in theories of physics?

Chirality is necessary in theories of physics because it affects the fundamental properties and interactions of particles, such as their spin, mass, and decay. Without taking chirality into account, our understanding of the physical world would be incomplete.

3. How is chirality studied in physics?

Chirality is studied in physics through various experiments and theoretical models. Experimental techniques, such as polarized light and parity violation, can determine the chirality of particles. Theoretical models, such as the Standard Model of particle physics, incorporate chirality to explain the behavior of particles.

4. Can chirality be observed in everyday life?

Yes, chirality can be observed in everyday life through phenomena such as the direction of spiral shells, the shape of DNA molecules, and the way certain molecules interact with each other. In fact, our own bodies are chiral, with our hands being non-superimposable mirror images of each other.

5. How does chirality impact the search for a unified theory of physics?

Chirality is a crucial factor in the search for a unified theory of physics, as it helps to explain the differences between matter and antimatter and the asymmetry in the universe. The incorporation of chirality into a unified theory could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.