Why is the current reading the same in each lamp in a parallel circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab on series and parallel circuits, specifically focusing on the readings of the current meters in the parallel circuit. The expected power supply current difference for the series and parallel cases is questioned, along with other correction factors such as impedance and brightness of the lamps. The power supply is rated at 5V and 1.5A, but a reading of 1.7A was obtained for the series case. The varying brightness of the lamps in the two circuits is also mentioned. Ultimately, it is determined that the meter was likely set to the wrong setting and that the lamps should not vary in brightness unless they are different types.
phillyj
Hi, I wasn't sure I should post this here.
We did a lab on series and parallel circuits and it went great until we got to the parallel circuit. The meters were connected in the correct way but for some reason, the current showed up on the meter as 12.8 (amps?) in each of the lamps.
In series, there was 1.7 amps in each of the lamps. There's no way that's 12 amps. Is it 1.28 amps? My TA doesn't know so any ideas?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3258/92456738.jpg

That was my setup where X is the light bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help (homework/coursework/labwork belongs here)

The result seems a bit off, but comes close to being correct. What is the expected power supply current difference for the series and parallel cases (what is relative total impedance of 3 series lamps versus 3 parallel lamps)?

And what other correction factors should you consider? What is the impedance of the meter compared to the lamps? Were the lamps a lot brighter in the parallel configuration? Was the lamp where the meter was any dimmer than the other two lamps in the parallel configuration? What is the output impedance of your power supply?

Given that you measured 1.7A for the series case, what would you guess should be the current in the parallel case if the lamps were the same brightness as the series case, and the output impedance of the power supply were negligible? Would the parallel current be higher or lower for each of the correction factors I've mentioned?

Sorry I didn't mention more.
IIRC, The power supply is rated at 5 V and 1.5 A. Yes, I'm sort of wondering why it said 1.7 A for series when the rating was 1.5A; maybe I changed the settings?

In series, the lights grew in brightness i.e Lamp1<Lamp2<Lamp3.
Parallel, they were the same.
This tells me I connected everything correctly. I'm not sure If my meter was set to the wrong setting. 12 amps makes no sense.

phillyj said:
Sorry I didn't mention more.
IIRC, The power supply is rated at 5 V and 1.5 A. Yes, I'm sort of wondering why it said 1.7 A for series when the rating was 1.5A; maybe I changed the settings?

In series, the lights grew in brightness i.e Lamp1<Lamp2<Lamp3.
Parallel, they were the same.
This tells me I connected everything correctly. I'm not sure If my meter was set to the wrong setting. 12 amps makes no sense.

Yeah, probably the wrong setting. And the lamps should not vary in brightness in either case, unless they are different types of lamps. Maybe in the series case they were barely turning on, so variations in manufacturing tolerances were more apparent than when they were all on full in the parallel case.

1. What is a circuit lab?

A circuit lab is a laboratory or workshop where experiments on circuits are conducted in a controlled environment to test and observe how electricity flows through different components and devices.

2. What equipment is needed for a circuit lab?

The equipment needed for a circuit lab includes power sources, wires, resistors, capacitors, inductors, switches, and measuring instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, and oscilloscopes.

3. What skills are required to conduct experiments in a circuit lab?

To conduct experiments in a circuit lab, one should have a good understanding of basic principles of electricity, knowledge of circuit components and their functions, and the ability to use measuring instruments and troubleshoot circuits.

4. What are the benefits of conducting experiments in a circuit lab?

Conducting experiments in a circuit lab allows scientists to test and observe how different circuits behave under different conditions, giving them a better understanding of how electricity works. It also allows for the discovery of new technologies and advancements in the field of electronics.

5. How can I ensure safety in a circuit lab?

To ensure safety in a circuit lab, always follow safety guidelines and protocols, wear appropriate protective gear, and make sure all equipment is in good working condition. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the experiments being conducted and to take necessary precautions to prevent accidents.