1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Compound Purity

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I recrystallized an unknown carboxylic acid, then found the melting point of the dried compound and identified it. The melting point range was narrow and that said to me that the compound was pure, but the percent recovery was very low (< 40 %). Indicating there was still a significant amount of impurities. I just wanted to know how to resolve these conflicting results and/or which contribution is the most important in determining purity. Forgive me if this question is stupid.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By the " recovery " do you mean ( experimental yield / theoretical yield ) x 100 %?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    No, the percent recovery. (mass of pure compound)/(mass of impure compound) x 100 %. I'd only heard of percent yield before this class, but this formula is what was given. Only to be used in purification processes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?