Question about Compound Purity

• Thread starter yungwun22
  • Start date
In summary, the student performed a recrystallization of an unknown carboxylic acid and found a narrow melting point range, indicating purity. However, the percent recovery was low, suggesting the presence of impurities. The student is looking for an explanation for these conflicting results and which factor is most important in determining purity. They apologize if their question seems foolish.
yungwun22

Homework Statement

I recrystallized an unknown carboxylic acid, then found the melting point of the dried compound and identified it. The melting point range was narrow and that said to me that the compound was pure, but the percent recovery was very low (< 40 %). Indicating there was still a significant amount of impurities. I just wanted to know how to resolve these conflicting results and/or which contribution is the most important in determining purity. Forgive me if this question is stupid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
yungwun22 said:

Homework Statement

I recrystallized an unknown carboxylic acid, then found the melting point of the dried compound and identified it. The melting point range was narrow and that said to me that the compound was pure, but the percent recovery was very low (< 40 %). Indicating there was still a significant amount of impurities. I just wanted to know how to resolve these conflicting results and/or which contribution is the most important in determining purity. Forgive me if this question is stupid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By the " recovery " do you mean ( experimental yield / theoretical yield ) x 100 %?

No, the percent recovery. (mass of pure compound)/(mass of impure compound) x 100 %. I'd only heard of percent yield before this class, but this formula is what was given. Only to be used in purification processes.

What is compound purity?

Compound purity refers to the proportion of a substance that is made up of the desired chemical compound. It is a measure of the quality and concentration of a compound, and is important for ensuring accurate and reliable results in experiments.

How is compound purity measured?

Compound purity can be measured using various techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, and titration. These methods involve separating and analyzing the components of a compound to determine the percentage of the desired chemical compound present.

Why is compound purity important?

Compound purity is important because it affects the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. Impurities in a compound can alter its chemical properties and may lead to incorrect conclusions. Therefore, it is crucial to have a high level of compound purity for reliable data.

What factors can affect compound purity?

Several factors can affect the purity of a compound, such as the quality of raw materials, the manufacturing process, and storage conditions. Contamination during handling and transportation can also impact the purity of a compound.

How can compound purity be improved?

To improve compound purity, it is essential to use high-quality raw materials, follow strict manufacturing processes, and store the compound properly. Regular testing and analysis can also help identify and remove impurities, thus increasing the overall purity of the compound.