Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about connecting analog sensors to a serial port on an evaluation board.

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Hi

For my final year university project, I have an array of 9 hall effect current sensors producing a maximum current output of 25mA each. They're producing an analog output which I need to convert in to digital signals so I can process them using an evaluation board and C++ code.

At the moment I'm thinking about using an analog multiplexer to cycle through the 9 inputs (using C++ code somehow?) one by one, then using an a single input ADC to convert them to digital signals.

Is there such a thing a multiplexing ADC?

The evaluation board has a serial input port.. so would I even need a multiplexer? I'm a bit confused..

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Callum121

p.s The manual for the evaluation board I am using can be found at:
    http://www.analog.com/static/import...854542ADSP_21065L_EZ_KIT_Lite_Manual_Rev2.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a quick look at the manual, and it seems your board has an expansion connector intended to be used with analogue front-ends; it also seems to support I2C
    I would look into ADCs and multiplexers with I2C interfaces.

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    You could also use a micro-controller with multiple ADC inputs -- e.g., the PIC 18F2455 has 10 10bit inputs -- basically it is one ADC with a front end multiplexer built in. But that means a lot of new programming skills to acquire. Or an Arduino hobby board might have enough inputs and has a lot of available software already.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the advise!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook