1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about couples

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    Hey,
    I recently got Schaum's Outlines: Enginering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics and started reading up on it...
    Here's what confuses me from the text:
    "A couple consists of two forces equal in magnitude and parallel, but oppositely directed."
    Would that be similar to saying "A couple is pretty much a third-law force pair"?
    That's what I "got" from that sentence, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.
    Now, it proceeds to talk about replacing a single force:
    "A single force F acting at point P may be replaced by (a) an equal and similarly directed force acting through any point O and (b) a couple C = r x F, where r is the vector from O to P."
    Can someone explain why it would be justified to replace a single force by a couple? (Maybe I need a clarification on what a couple actually is)
    Thanks a lot for any responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2
    The definition given doesn't mention that a couple isn't co-linear - it's not clear from your post whether or not you realise this. A couple (or torque) is like an angular force - instead of acting to accelerate an object in a straight line, it accelerates it rotationally - i.e. starts to turn it about some axis.

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Absolutely not! While it's true that the two forces comprising a couple are equal and opposite, they act on the same body. Third-law force pairs are always between two different interacting bodies and act along the same line.

They are not replacing a force by a couple! They are replacing one force by a second force (equal to the first but acting at a different point) plus a couple.

Realize that an applied force has two effects on an object: a "linear" effect (contributing to the net force on the object) and a "rotational" effect due to whatever torque it generates about some point. The "linear" effect is the same no matter where the force is applied, but the torque generated by a force depends on the point of application.

A couple exerts a torque but no net force. The original force F acting at point P exerts both a linear force (F) on the object plus a torque about point O. Applying the force F at point O would give the same linear force as before, but the torque about O would be zero. So, to properly duplicate the effect of the original force, you must add a couple to represent the torque about O.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook