Is My Advanced Math Course Load Manageable for Senior Year?

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student's course load and concerns about taking advanced math courses. The student has a strong background in math but is unsure about the difficulty of the courses and the amount of time they should devote to them. They are seeking advice on whether taking Real Analysis and Abstract Algebra together is doable and if a standard math major would be able to handle it. The conversation also brings up the point that everyone has different capabilities and it is ultimately up to the individual to know what they can handle. The student is determined to take these courses regardless because of their love for mathematics, but they want to ensure they have a good understanding of the material and do well in their courses.
brandon078902
I'm currently a high school student. For background, I finished Calc BC soph year and I've taken Calc III, DE, PDE, Lin. Alg, and an intro to proofs course this past year at a local 4 year university (earned A's in all). I'll be a senior next year taking Real Analysis, Intro to Geometry, and doing an independent study of Abstract Algebra in the fall. All of these are supposed to be fairly proof intensive, and I've only been exposed to proofs in my intro to proofs course (All math classes before that were very 'cookbook' style).
So I'm wondering: how much time I should be expecting to devote to these classes? Would this seem fairly doable to a standard math major? I've been informed by some that taking RA and AA together would be very difficult (especially since Abs. Alg won't be in a formal class, and I've got Geometry to deal with), so I just want to make sure I don't get overwhelmed.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a very standard course load but honestly what's the point of questions like these? How are we supposed to know what is and isn't overwhelming for you? Different people handle different levels of course load difficulties. You just have to experiment.

The point is I don't want to take these advanced courses if there's a high probability I won't pull an A, and I don't want to experiment to find out if I can or not. The range of courses one can or cannot handle is usually consistent among most people, to a certain extent... I guess I would rather know if a 'standard' undergraduate math student with the same background would be able to do it, as I would put myself at least at that level. I might add that those aren't the only courses, just the math ones (although my question is more concerned with learning a large amount of mathematics in a short amount of time, I guess).

brandon078902 said:
The point is I don't want to take these advanced courses if there's a high probability I won't pull an A, and I don't want to experiment to find out if I can or not.

This is a horrible mindset. Are you trying to prepare yourself for further schooling, or to make your transcript look pretty?
brandon078902 said:
The range of courses one can or cannot handle is usually consistent among most people.

That's not true. At all.

Honestly, like the above poster said, only you can know what you are up to. Especially taking an independent study in abstract algebra (which, IMHO, is a very difficult course), it really depends on the professor/book you are working with. If you are not good at proofs, you will find that semester to be hell. If you are okay and don't mind doing them, then you will be fine. But we cannot tell you what is too much for you to handle.

I wouldn't think it's a horrible mindset in the slightest, seeing as how it's pointless to bite off more than you can chew and end up with both a poor understanding of the subject and a bad grade to show for it (in such core courses to my intended major, a mediocre understanding of the material would very bad). I am planning on taking these courses regardless of what was said here simply because I absolutely love mathematics, by the way.

Also, I was referring to how most people I know only take 2-3 courses in their major, and almost never all upper division courses. Some may be outliers and be able to do only 1-2 a semester, while others may be able to take 4-5, but both parties are in the minority, at least where I'm dual enrolling.

1. What is considered a normal course load for a college student?

A normal course load for a college student is typically around 12-15 credit hours per semester. This can vary depending on the school and the student's individual schedule.

2. Can I take more or less than the recommended course load?

Yes, you can take more or less than the recommended course load. However, it is important to consider your own academic abilities and schedule before making this decision. It is also important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure you are meeting all necessary requirements.

3. How does course load affect my GPA?

The number of courses and credit hours you take can directly impact your GPA. Taking more courses may increase your workload and make it more difficult to maintain good grades, while taking fewer courses may allow you to focus more on each individual class and potentially improve your grades.

4. Is it possible to graduate early by taking a heavier course load?

Yes, it is possible to graduate early by taking a heavier course load. However, this may require careful planning and possibly taking courses during the summer or winter breaks. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

5. Can I change my course load during the semester?

Yes, you can typically change your course load during the semester. However, this may depend on your school's policies and deadlines. It is important to communicate with your professors and academic advisor if you are considering changing your course load.