1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about cross product

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is actually a concept question, but since its kind of elementary i post it here

I understand the calculation of the cross product, what i do not understand is why the cross product that only involve in 2 dimension will have the result of 3rd dimension

2. Relevant equations

A cross B = AB sin

A dot B = AB cos

3. The attempt at a solution

If i analyze the equation, i find that Asin is equal to A's y component, and if you times that with B, it will only result in a vector perpendicular to B and has the magnitude of A's y component times B, how does that end up with vector that is perpendicular to both A and B

and the right hand rule doesn't explain it either, it just shows how to obtain the direction of the third vector

besides, how does a difference in trigonometric function made cross product a vector, and scalar product a scalar?

from my understanding, AB cos is just like AB sin, it only gives a number, so where does the direction comes from

the concept of vector multiplication is really confusing, i hope someone can help explaining this

Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to be a little more careful in distinguishing vectors from magnitudes. The precise equations are

A x B = |A| |B| sin(x) (1)
    where x is the angle between the vectors A and B, and |A| and |B| are just the magnitude (without direction information) of A and B.
    A · B = |A| |B| cos(x) (2)

The difference is, that A · B is just a number, whereas A x B produces a new vector. So to calculate A · B you just have one formula, namely (2). To calculate A x B you actually have three formulas, one for each component, which go like
    (A x B)x = Ay Bz - Az By (3),
    etc. If you then calculate the magnitude of the new vector A x B, you will get formula (1) back.

So the most important ingredient to clearing up your confusion, I think, is that you should see formula (3) as defining the cross product, and see formula (1) for the magnitude as a consequence of that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook