Question about dc power output

• Thread starter bskramer
  • Start date
hey guy I was wondering if there was any way to increase the amperage output of an ac to dc converter, it is a 120v ac input that outputs 13v dc at 3.42 A. is there any way to boost this output?

P.S. Ya'll are the best, This is by far one of my favorite places to be on the web. kudos on a job well done.

Answers and Replies

hey guy I was wondering if there was any way to increase the amperage output of an ac to dc converter, it is a 120v ac input that outputs 13v dc at 3.42 A. is there any way to boost this output?

P.S. Ya'll are the best, This is by far one of my favorite places to be on the web. kudos on a job well done.

The current available from a power supply of this kind will normally be limited by the ratings of certain key components. Exceeding these ratings is likely to result in failure, which can cause overheating, fire and electric shock hazards.

Modifying mains powered equipment is not a job for novices. It would probably be uneconomic to make the modifications needed, so even someone who knows what to do in principle would most likely buy a manufactured product. If you need a more powerful supply, you would be far better advised to buy one.

berkeman
Mentor

Generally that current output (and therefore power output) is limited by the physical size of the transformer in the linear power supply. The only way to get more power out is to buy a bigger transformer. The bigger transformer model will also come with bigger rectifying diodes.

If it's a switching power supply, it takes a bigger transformer and bigger switching semiconductors.

So the short answer is no.

EDIT -- Beaten out by Adjuster!

Nope... You get 13 * 3.42 = 44.46 watts from your wall-wart and that's it. You can probably get a bit more current if you can deal with the voltage being pulled lower than 13, but the poor thing will probably overheat eventually.