Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about delta function

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    Hi
    I am not a mathematician so my question might be silly.
    I really came across it in physics but I think it is purely mathematical:
    I came across an equation of the form:
    delta(m-n)*A= delta(m-n)*B
    my question is now for what cases can I conclude A=B?
    Does this only hold for m=n, or can I also conclude A=B for m->n ,i.e. m=n+epsilon for sufficiently small epsilon. I am not sure about this as the naive definition of the delta function(infinite at 0; 0 everywhere else and integrates to 1 when 0 is in the integration range) would lead me to conclude that only when m=n I could conclude A=B. However the delta function is the limit of a set of function which do not vanish for for m=n+epsilon so maybe their is an argument why for epsilon small enough I should be able to conclude A=B. Another reason why I think this should be the case is that this argument came up in a paper of a nobel laureate and his argument crucially depended on the possibility to conclude A=B even when m not equal n but only m=n+epsilon. So if anybody could give me a rigorous argument why this should be possible I would be thankful to hear about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are A and B? Numbers or functions of x?

If numbers, then yes, A= B. If functions of x, then you can only conclude that A(m-n)= B(m-n).

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry the way I phrased the question was really stupid. Obviously if A and B are const then A=B, but for the case I am interested we have A=const and B=f(m,n). Now my quesion should have been:
    If we have delta(m-n)*A=delta(m-n)*f(m,n) then in a famous paper a nobel laureate concludes A=lim(m->n)f(m,n) from which he deduces the validity that A=f(m,n) for m=n+epsilon. It is explicitly stated there that he does not assume lim(m->n)f(m,n)=f(m,m) but that he only needs lim(m->n)f(m,n).
    So I was wondering why A=lim(m->n)f(m,n) if he does not assume lim(m->n)f(m,n)=f(m,m). However there must be a way as it is a celebrated paper and without this possibility the main prrof would not work.

5. Mar 9, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The value of f(n,n) (strictly speaking, since m is going to n you want f(n,n), not f(m,m)) is completely irrelevant to lim(m->n)f(m,n).

The definition of "lim(x->a) f(x)= L" is "For any [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex], there exist [itex]\delta>0[/itex] such that if [itex]0< |x-a|< \delta[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)-L|< \epsilon[/itex]." Notice the "0< "? What happens at x=a doesn't matter. In general, you can change f(a) to be anything at all (or even leave it undefined) without changing lim(x->a) f(x).

Of course, if f is continuous at a, then lim(x->a)f(x) must equal f(a) but apparently that is not being assumed here.

6. Mar 9, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying but now my quetion is:
    In the case of delta(m-n)*A=delta(m-n)*f(m,n) is it valid to deduce A=lim(m->n)f(m,n) or is it only valid to deduce A=f(m,m)?

7. Mar 12, 2007 #6
    If my question is inclear please let me know, because I really would like to know the answer of this question.

8. Mar 12, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Without more information on f(m,n) you can only conclude that A= f(m,m)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?