1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about describe graph.

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following graphs applies to each situation?
    1) An upward moving elevator colliding with a downward moving elevator.
    2) A car moving at a steady speed is overtaken by a police car starting from rest.
    3) A car, initially at rest, accelerating and a car moving initially at constant speed applying the brakes until it stops.
    4) A train, initially moving at a steady speed, has brakes applied to match the speed of a train on a parallel track.
    5) A ball thrown upward and a ball thrown downward at the same time with the same initial speed.
    6) A race car speeding up to match the speed of a second race car.

the graph attach in the attachments

3. The attempt at a solution

in my opinion, the match should be:
    1)-F, when the the elevators colliding, the V become 0.
    2)-B, the police's car is faset than than other car. and when the car meet police at first time, it has already moved a part of displacement. so I think B is match this situation.
    3)-H, i guest it should be H, because it said one car brakes until it stop, see graph H, it match it.
    4)-D, it said a tain brake the match to other so V is reduce and same as another, the displace change rate should be equal after the speed mache. so I choose D.
    5)-G, one ball up and one ball down with same speed, the value of V is equal but direction is opposite. two ball just affect by gravitation so the rate of changing should be equal. I choose G.
    6)-I, a car speed up to match the speed of second car. so second car is faster. after they match to get same speed. I choose I.

This is my quiz question online. I can't know right answer now but my answer is not right. I do not know which one is wrong. Please help check my answer and helo explain why it is wrong.

thanks every much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted