Question about Dirac form

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am studying for a Quantum Mechanics final and our prof. gave us an equations sheet with some of the equations needed for the exam.
I was wondering what the following equations could be used for. We have covered spherical harmonics, the Hydrogen Atom, Degenerate Perturbation Theory, Spin, Stationary Electron in a Magnetic field, Addition of Angular Momentum (J, Jz) using Clebsch Gordon table, and Spin Orbit and the Zeeman Effect. I am a little confused by the dirac form.

Sorry about the pdf form... it wouldnt let me paste the code into the text!

Thanks

Attachments

Answers and Replies

What he has written down is in fact [tex]\left\langle \mathbf{r} | 0 1 \right\rangle[/tex]
Presumably, you could use these equations to find, say, [tex]\left\langle y^2 \right\rangle[/tex] for the 2D harmonic oscillator.

I am not familiar with that form... is that just Psi(r)? and what quantum numbers are the 0 and 1?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mmm... it would be a good idea for you to review Bra/ket notation. The state in this case is one of the excited states of the quantum harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\left| n_x = 0, n_y = 1\right\rangle[/tex].

I'm talking about the overlap of that state with [tex]\left|\mathbf{r}\right\rangle[/tex], which is an eigenstate of the position operator with eigenvalue [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex]. Thus I'm referring to the wavefunction in the position representation.

Thanks, I haven't done much with Bra/ket notation!