Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Dirac form

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    I am studying for a Quantum Mechanics final and our prof. gave us an equations sheet with some of the equations needed for the exam.
    I was wondering what the following equations could be used for. We have covered spherical harmonics, the Hydrogen Atom, Degenerate Perturbation Theory, Spin, Stationary Electron in a Magnetic field, Addition of Angular Momentum (J, Jz) using Clebsch Gordon table, and Spin Orbit and the Zeeman Effect. I am a little confused by the dirac form.

Sorry about the pdf form... it wouldnt let me paste the code into the text!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    What he has written down is in fact [tex]\left\langle \mathbf{r} | 0 1 \right\rangle[/tex]
    Presumably, you could use these equations to find, say, [tex]\left\langle y^2 \right\rangle[/tex] for the 2D harmonic oscillator.

4. May 12, 2008 #3
    I am not familiar with that form... is that just Psi(r)? and what quantum numbers are the 0 and 1?
    Thanks again!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  5. May 12, 2008 #4
    Mmm... it would be a good idea for you to review Bra/ket notation. The state in this case is one of the excited states of the quantum harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\left| n_x = 0, n_y = 1\right\rangle[/tex].

I'm talking about the overlap of that state with [tex]\left|\mathbf{r}\right\rangle[/tex], which is an eigenstate of the position operator with eigenvalue [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex]. Thus I'm referring to the wavefunction in the position representation.

6. May 12, 2008 #5
    Thanks, I haven't done much with Bra/ket notation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?