Direction in Space: Do We Launch Straight Up from the North and South Poles?

• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, space is all relative to the observer (north, south, east, and west). The plane of the solar system roughly corresponds to the plane of the equator of the Earth. When launching probes or shuttles into space, you can save energy by using the rotation of the planet. However, almost everything in the solar system is located within a few degrees of the ecliptic plane, so it's not necessary to send stuff away in other directions.
elusiveshame
If I understand correctly, direction in space is all relative to the observer (north, south, east, and west). Anyway, suppose we're looking at the Earth from a distance, where the north and south poles are located as on a globe.

My question is: when we send probes and shuttles into space, we seem to be going sideways for travel, but do we ever launch straight up from either of the poles and continue our exploration in other directions?

I do feel that I may not be understanding something, or missing something entirely. Any explanation or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The plane of the solar system roughly corresponds to the plane of the equator of the Earth, this is why we launch things going out "sideways". If we launched something going "straight out of the poles" it wouldn't hit anything interesting for quite a long time as it would just be going away from the plane of the solar system and not towards other planets, etc. In addition, most of the people on Earth are located closer to the equator. There are no people at the poles, so it would be pretty hard to build launch sites there.

Likes elusiveshame
The issue here is with the energy cost of sending anything into space in directions not coinciding with the rotation/revolution planes.

When you send a satellite into Earth orbit in the equatorial plane (the East-West plane) you can use the rotation of the planet to boost the satellite and save fuel.
The savings in terms of delta-V (the velocity required for a maneuver) are in the vicinity of 500m/s iirc. Compare with ~7 km/s required for a low-Earth circular orbit. It's not a whole lot, but still a substantial saving due to the way rockets work (you need extra fuel to move extra fuel and so on). But since it's not prohibitive either, we do sometimes send satellites into polar orbits.

With the solar system travel, the savings from the orbital velocity of Earth when sending probes in the ecliptic (orbital) plane amount to ~30km/s. Compare to about 45km/s required to escape the solar system from the distance of Earth's orbit. It's much, much easier to send stuff close to the plane of the ecliptic (which differs from equatiorial plane by 23.5 degrees by the way) and then try and alter the orbit with slingshot maneuvers.

But besides, almost everything in the solar system apart from some rare rocks lies within relatively few degrees from the ecliptic, so it's not like there's much reason to send stuff away in any other plane.

Likes elusiveshame
Thank you both for the explanations, very helpful with imagining this and understanding why we launch along the ecliptic.

I was trying to think of any follow up questions, but it seems you both covered everything that I could think of at the moment :p

Thank you for your question. I can confirm that direction in space is indeed relative to the observer. However, when it comes to launching spacecraft, the direction of launch is not determined by the observer's perspective, but rather by the laws of physics and the Earth's rotation.

In general, spacecraft are launched eastward from the Earth's surface, regardless of the location of the launch site. This is because the Earth's rotation provides a natural boost to the spacecraft, making it easier and more efficient to reach orbit. Launching from the poles, where the Earth's rotation is slower, would require significantly more energy and fuel.

That being said, there have been a few rare instances where spacecraft were launched from the poles. This was typically for scientific or strategic reasons, rather than practical ones. For example, in 1977, NASA launched the Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft from Cape Canaveral in Florida, but they were on a trajectory that took them over the north and south poles for a gravitational assist from Jupiter and Saturn.

In summary, while it is possible to launch spacecraft from the poles, it is not a common practice due to the challenges and limitations it presents. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion. For further reading, I recommend NASA's website on space launch and trajectories.

What is direction?

Direction refers to the course or path that something is moving or facing.

Why is direction important?

Direction is important because it helps us navigate and understand the world around us. It allows us to know where we are going, where we have been, and how to get to our desired destination.

How is direction measured?

Direction can be measured in degrees using a compass or other navigational tools. It can also be described using cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) or relative directions (left, right, up, down).

What factors can affect direction?

Several factors can affect direction, including magnetic fields, gravity, wind, and movement of the Earth's tectonic plates. Human-made structures and objects can also affect direction, such as buildings, roads, and vehicles.

How can we improve our sense of direction?

Practicing navigation skills, using maps and compasses, and paying attention to landmarks and environmental cues can help improve our sense of direction. Familiarizing ourselves with cardinal directions and using technology such as GPS can also aid in finding and maintaining direction.