Is Displacement Zero if I End a 1-Mile Run in the Same Spot?

In summary, displacement is the distance and direction an object moves from its starting point. It is different from distance, which only measures the total length of the path traveled. Common units for measuring displacement include meters, feet, kilometers, and miles. Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position, and it can be negative if the final position is behind the initial position. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its starting point.
iurod
Hi,
Sorry about the question, as I'm sure its super simple, I'm new to physics :)

If I'm running a on a circular track and I do say 4 laps (1/4 mile each lap, 1 mile total) is my displacement equal to 0. Since I ended the run exactly where I started?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Doc Al.. :)

1. What is displacement?

Displacement refers to the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account both distance and direction.

3. What are some common units for measuring displacement?

The most common units for measuring displacement include meters, feet, kilometers, and miles.

4. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the final position is behind the initial position. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its starting point.