1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about drag force

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    What is the drag force on a 1.6 m wide, 1.4 high car traveling at

A) 10 m/s B) 30 m/s

I'm getting 68 N for part a and 615 N for part B using equation D=.25pAv^2

P= density of air (1.22 kg/m^3) and A is cross sectional area of obect as it faces the wind). *I plugged in 1.22 for p, 2.24 for A, and 30 for v but this is wrong according to the book. What am I doing wrong?

And I don't think I need it to solve this problem but *v terminal = sq rt (4mg/pA).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know how you can solve this problem without knowing the drag coefficient (C_d)for the car. The formula you note is for certain shapes with C_d =0.5; a car could have a greater or lesser C_d depending on its design. (Note: The terminal velocity equation you have noted is for a falling object with a C_d =0.5; it doesn't apply to objects traveling on a level surface.)

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3
    my book says to consider Cd as .5 so ive already included it in the equation. The formula is actually .5CdpAv^2 but my books says Cd is .5 so the equation becomes D=.25pAv^2 so is my answer right? thanks

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks OK to me. Maybe it's a significant figure thing.

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5
    Thank you kindly for all your help!

7. Feb 6, 2011 #6
    I'm stuck on the same problem about a car that is 1.6 meter wide and 1.4 meters tall and I have to find the drag force for it at 10 m/s and 30 m/s. But I got the wrong answer when I plugged it into the equation D= .25(rho)(Area)(Velocity^2). I found out that the velocity of Air is 1.29 kg/m^3 and plugged that in for rho but still no luck. Help!!!

8. Feb 7, 2011 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming quadratic drag and that Cd/2 = 0.25,, the equation is correct, where rho is the mass density of air. I don't know what the book assumed or gave for the drag coefficient.....a mack truck would have a much greater drag cofficient than one of those modern 'bird shaped' vehicles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook