Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about eddy currents

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Okay so i just want to make sure i got this right because its a kind of confusing topic for me. So eddy currents are caused because when there is a motion (with a conducting surface) through a magnetic field a current is induced? and because there is a current there is also a magnetic field due to that current which opposes the original magnetic field and causes it to slow down?! Also when people are generating electrical energy by rotating a square/circle loop through a magnetic field do eddy currents slow you down? also I realize by cutting slots and other means you can reduce eddy currents. Thanks for the answers, and i hope my question was clear

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    You got it pretty much right. But the eddy currents are only induced in a conducting material if the magnetic field is changing with time, or if a conducting material is moving through a magnetic field that is non-uniform (fcn of x, y, z), or rotating in a constant magnetic field.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    Why does the magnetic field have to be non-uniform?

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

Because something has to change over time; if the conductor moves through a uniform magnetic field, it's functionally static.

6. Aug 29, 2009 #5
    Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a flux right?, but there is no such thing as a uniform magnetic field right? except inside solenoids, but even then its not exactly uniform right?

7. Aug 29, 2009 #6
    The basis for eddy currents is the integral form of Faraday's Law

E dl = -(d/dt) ∫B·dA

where ∫dl is around the perimeter of surface A.

and J = σ E So
    " Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a changing flux right?" Note the d/dt in Faraday's law.

8. Aug 29, 2009 #7
    Thank you for the correction, and yes that is what I mean. Thanks for all the help guys, and the fast responses!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook