Will the Einstein Ring Change as the Mass Moves Towards the Observer?

In summary: For example, the light from the object might be bent inwards, or the light from other stars might be distorted.
theneedtoknow
If I was looking at a self-luminous object, and all of a sudden a great pass appeared directly between me and the object, in the line of sight between me and it, I could potentially see an Einstein ring.

Q: If that mass then started moving radially towards me (distance to self-luminous source behind it remains the same), what would happen to the Einstein ring?

My intuition says that the ring with grow in angular diameter as the intermittent mass approaches me - (I think this due to taking the time derivative of the angle of lensing, and assuming the lens is approachign me at a certain constant speed). Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
theneedtoknow said:
If I was looking at a self-luminous object, and all of a sudden a great pass appeared directly between me and the object, in the line of sight between me and it, I could potentially see an Einstein ring.

Q: If that mass then started moving radially towards me (distance to self-luminous source behind it remains the same), what would happen to the Einstein ring?

My intuition says that the ring with grow in angular diameter as the intermittent mass approaches me - (I think this due to taking the time derivative of the angle of lensing, and assuming the lens is approachign me at a certain constant speed). Does this seem right?
Given the size of objects that are massive enough to create Einstein Rings, it's not likely to move towards you at a speed (or even a recession velocity) that would show much change during your lifetime, but yes there would be a (probably too small to measure) increase in the size of the ring.

Awesome, thank you! I needed it more as a hypothetical for a short story I'm writing so it's OK if it doesn't happen on single human lifescales :)

It's worth noting that anything energetic enough to change the motion of a mass big enough to cause an Einstein ring will produce noticeable gravitational effects itself. So you might well see other effects.

1. What is an Einstein ring?

An Einstein ring is a phenomenon in which the light from a distant object, such as a galaxy, is bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of a closer object, such as a massive galaxy or cluster of galaxies. This creates a ring-like shape around the closer object, giving it the appearance of an "Einstein ring".

2. How are Einstein rings formed?

Einstein rings are formed due to the effects of gravitational lensing, which is a result of Einstein's theory of general relativity. The massive object in the foreground acts as a lens, bending and magnifying the light from the more distant object behind it, creating the ring-like shape.

3. How rare are Einstein rings?

Einstein rings are relatively rare, as they require a precise alignment of two objects in space. However, with the advancement of technology and telescopes, more and more Einstein rings are being discovered.

4. Can Einstein rings be seen with the naked eye?

No, Einstein rings are typically only visible through powerful telescopes. However, there have been a few rare instances where an Einstein ring has been seen with the naked eye, such as the case of the "Einstein cross" in 1985.

5. What can we learn from studying Einstein rings?

Studying Einstein rings can provide valuable information about the distribution of matter in the universe, as well as the effects of gravity on light. It can also help us understand the properties of dark matter, which plays a significant role in the formation of these rings.