Question about electirc field

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, The electric field (E) can be calculated using the equation E = -dV/dx, where V is voltage and x is position. However, in certain cases, the equation E = dV/dx may be used instead. It is important to note that E is not always a negative value and can be uniform, in which case it can be represented by the equation E = Δv/Δx. The negation in the equation indicates the direction of the electric field, but in some cases, it may be used to represent the magnitude of the field.
Miike012
In my book it says that the electric field (E) is equal to the following

E = -dV/dx <0
where V = Volatage and x = position

However if you look in the paint doc on one of my homework problems you will see that
E>0

They say that E = dV/dx = Δv/Δx (where Δx = d).
So E = Δv/Δx > 0 (because E is UNIFORM therefor dV/dx = Δv/Δx)

Questions:
1. When should I use the equation E = -dV/dx?
2. Why did they not use E = -dV/dx?
3. Is E a vector in this equation? Hence the neg sign indicates direction

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
In my book it says that the electric field (E) is equal to the following

E = -dV/dx <0
where V = Volatage and x = position

However if you look in the paint doc on one of my homework problems you will see that
E>0

They say that E = dV/dx = Δv/Δx (where Δx = d).
So E = Δv/Δx > 0 (because E is UNIFORM therefor dV/dx = Δv/Δx)

Questions:
2. Why did they not use E = -dV/dx?
3. Is E a vector in this equation? Hence the neg sign indicates direction
I believe in this case they are using "E" as the magnitude of the electric field.

Miike012 said:

Always.

But the real equation is E = - del V where
del V = ∂V/∂x i + ∂V/∂y j + ∂V/∂z k
where i , j and k are unit vectors in x,y,z direction resp.

Reason: the E field may point in a direction with x, y and/or z components, not just x.

Last edited:

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of other charged particles. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be visualized as a series of lines that point in the direction of the force.

How is an electric field measured?

An electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). It can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which detects the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude and location of the charges creating the field. It is also affected by the distance between the charges and the material in which the charges are located.

What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. The electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field strength, with a higher electric potential resulting in a stronger electric field.

How is an electric field used in everyday life?

Electric fields are used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, power outlets, and electronic devices. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes, such as electroplating. Understanding electric fields is crucial for the development and use of technology in modern society.