Question about electrial potential

• Thread starter leolaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the work done by an external force to move a -8.50{\mu}C charge from a point a to point b is 15.0*10^{-4}J. If the charge was started from rest and had 4.82 * 10^{-4}J of kinetic energy when it reached point b, what must be the potential difference between a and b.
leolaw
The work done by an external force to move a [tex]-8.50{\mu}C[/tex] charge from a point a to point b is [tex]15.0*10^{-4}J[/tex]. If the charge was started from rest and had [tex] 4.82 * 10^{-4}J[/tex] of kinetic energy when it reached point b, what must be the potential difference between a and b.

I am not sure if this is suppose to be a trick question or not, but if the final kinetic energy is 4.82 * 10^ -4, then the initial potential difference has to be 4.82 * 10^-4 right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the units of electric potention (V or J/C) and work (J)

What is the unit of potential difference...?

Daniel.

so
[tex]{\Delta} KE = -{\Delta}PE}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = -qV_{ba}[/tex]
[tex]4.82*10^{-4}J=8.5*10^{-6} V_{ba}[/tex]
So V_ba = 5.6 * 10 V

But when I use
[tex] W = -qV_{ba}[/tex]
[tex] 15 * 10^{-4} = 8.5 * 10^{-6} V_{ba}[/tex]
[tex] V_{ba} = 1.76 * 10 ^2 [/tex]

I am kind of lost here, can somebody help

You're not properly using the energy information provided. What's the relationship between the 2 energy values given in the problem?

~~

Last edited:
[tex] 4.82 * 10^{-4}J[/tex], which is the kinetic energy

What about:

[tex] Work_{ext} = \Delta K.E. + \Delta P.E. [/tex]

~~

HINT:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ Work_{ext} = \Delta K.E. + \Delta P.E. [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ (15x10^{-4} Joules) \ \ = \ \ (4.82x10^{-4} Joules) \ \ + \ \ (Charge)*(PotentialDifference) [/tex]

Do you see the technique?

~~

Last edited:
I have the answer -1.19 x 10 ^ -2 V

I've said that b4.It's the OP-s job to do the "dirty" work.Namely the simple calculations...We assume that the person coming in for advice/help has minimum knowledge of arithmetics...

Daniel.

P.S.Your result is 10.000 times smaler...
P.P.S.xanthym,the latex code for multiplication is either "\times" or "\cdot" or leaving a space...

xanthym said:
What about:

[tex] Work_{ext} = \Delta K.E. + \Delta P.E. [/tex]

~~

I didnt know this forumla before because I started from the middle of the book (since that i am taking second half of the course), so i skipped all the Mechnical energy stuff

But once i have this, it makes everything easier

dextercioby said:
I've said that b4.It's the OP-s job to do the "dirty" work.Namely the simple calculations...We assume that the person coming in for advice/help has minimum knowledge of arithmetics...

Daniel.

P.S.Your result is 10.000 times smaler...
P.P.S.xanthym,the latex code for multiplication is either "\times" or "\cdot" or leaving a space...
you mean it is -1.2 x 10 ^3?

LEOLAW --
Don't guess. Repeat the calculation. (10^3 is still wrong.)

xanthym said:
HINT:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ Work_{ext} = \Delta K.E. + \Delta P.E. [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ (15x10^{-4} Joules) \ \ = \ \ (4.82x10^{-4} Joules) \ \ + \ \ (Charge)*(PotentialDifference) [/tex]

Do you see the technique?

~~
[tex] (15*10^{-4} Joules) = (4.82x10^{-4} Joules) + (Charge)*(PotentialDifference) [/tex]

[tex]1.018 * 10 ^{-3} = 8.5*10^{-6} * (PotentialDifference)[/tex]

and i still get the result -1.19 x 10 ^2

now I get the idea... but not the answer?/

Likes ikihi
CORRECT! :smile:

xanthym said:
CORRECT! :smile:

finally..wholala

1. What is electrical potential?

Electrical potential is a measure of the amount of electrical energy stored in a system or the amount of work required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another within the system. It is often referred to as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electrical potential different from electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential and electrical potential energy are closely related but not the same. Electrical potential is a measure of the electrical energy per unit charge in a system, while electrical potential energy is the total amount of electrical energy stored in a system. In other words, electrical potential energy is the product of electrical potential and the amount of charge in the system.

3. What factors affect electrical potential?

The main factors that affect electrical potential are the amount of electrical charge, the distance between the charges, and the medium through which the charges are moving. The type of material and its conductivity can also influence electrical potential.

4. How is electrical potential measured?

Electrical potential is measured using a device called a voltmeter. This device measures the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit and displays the value in volts (V). It works by connecting two probes to the two points of interest and measuring the voltage difference between them.

5. What is the difference between electrical potential and electric potential difference?

Electrical potential and electric potential difference are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Electric potential difference refers to the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit, while electrical potential is the actual value of electrical potential at a specific point in the circuit.