Question about electrical components

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a device that can reduce the amount of amps flowing without affecting the voltage. Suggestions are made to use an op-amp or a zener diode, but ultimately it is determined that a current divider using resistors will suffice for the specific application of connecting a 12 volt battery with 9.9 amps to a device that requires 12 volts and 500 milliamps. It is also mentioned that using a fuse for safety is recommended.
bleh
i was wondering if anyone out their knew if their is a device which reduces amps and not voltage i need something that i can use to controll the amount of amps flowing.

thanks everyone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe stick an op-amp in it?

Originally posted by bleh
i was wondering if anyone out their knew if their is a device which reduces amps and not voltage i need something that i can use to controll the amount of amps flowing.

thanks everyone

zener diode

As a former analog IC designer, I recommend the following quick and dirty cure-all.

Put the current source in series with a resistor to ground. Take the voltage between these components and feed it into an inverting-configuration op-amp with unity gain. Follow this amplifier with a second inverting-configuration op-amp with unity gain. To modulate the attenuation of the current, change the value of the first resistor mentioned (the input resistor).

Here is your controlling equation.

Iout = (Rin / (Rin + R)) * In, where

R = value of matched resistors used in first inverting-configuration op-amp, and

Rin = input resistor.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
How many amps? How many volts? There may be a VERY simple way. I assume you are looking for a controllable current source as opposed to a voltage source. BTW, you really can't change one without changing the other. I don't know your expertise in electronics. The difference is whether the amperage is regulated to a constant value regardless of the type of load or if the voltage is regulated to a constant value regardless of the load. I'm rambling, I'll shut up now! Let me know the application though, it may be a lot easier than you realize.

volts and amps

its a battery for a lawn mower its 12 volts with 9.9 amps

Still not sure what you are trying to do. Are you limiting charging current to the battery? Replacing the battery with something? What? Need more information before I can be of help to you.

Originally posted by bleh
its a battery for a lawn mower its 12 volts with 9.9 amps

You should have mentioned this in the beginning. In this case, you don't need the fancy electronics I previously mentioned. You just need a current divider. You can make one by connecting your battery to two resistors connected in parallel. Ground the end of one resistor and feed the other end into your lawn mower. The same equation I previously gave you applies here. Just make sure that input resistance of your lawn mower is small compared to the resistance value of the resistors you use (< 10%).

eNtRopY

volts and amps

im connecting the battery to something that runs on 12 volts dc and 500 milli amps and i don't want to break it because the battery has 9.9 amps so i want to reduce the amps, but the thing I am hooking the battery up to can go up to 1 amp so i want to be abel to increase the amps when i need to by moving a dial or something

Ok, you are thoroughly confused on this. Electrical loads draw the amount of current required. A 12 volt source can have the capability to supply hundreds or thousands of amperes, but if a small load only requiring one amp is hooked to it nothing out of the ordinary happens. It will draw one amp even though the source is capable of much more. You would be wise to hook a 1 or 1.5 amp fuse in-line with whatever you are powering. BTW, what ARE you powering? Hope this helps.

1. What is an electrical component?

An electrical component is a device that is designed to carry, control, or convert electrical current in a circuit. Examples of electrical components include resistors, capacitors, diodes, and transistors.

2. What is the purpose of electrical components?

Electrical components are essential in creating and controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit. They can be used to regulate voltage, filter signals, and perform other functions that are necessary for electronic devices to function properly.

3. How do I choose the right electrical component for my circuit?

Choosing the right electrical component depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. Factors such as voltage, current, and frequency need to be considered when selecting components. It is important to consult datasheets and seek professional advice if needed.

4. Can different types of electrical components be used together in a circuit?

Yes, different types of electrical components can be used together in a circuit. In fact, most circuits require a combination of different components to function properly. However, it is important to ensure that the components are compatible and have the appropriate ratings for the circuit.

5. How do I troubleshoot if an electrical component is not working?

If an electrical component is not working, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. Next, use a multimeter to test the component for continuity and proper voltage. If necessary, you can also replace the component with a known working one to see if it solves the issue.