Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about electromagnetism and photons

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1

hcs

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but didn't find anything

What's the difference between EM radiation (photons) and EM fields? When an antenna is emitting a signal at X Hz, is it emitting photons with the frequency of X Hz or is it just making electrical and magnetical fields (and thus called EM)

If my antenna's signal had a wavelength of 600nm (out aside the technological difficulties), would it produce visible light?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

EM radiation can be said to be oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

Both, actually. Photons are the particle manifestation of light (light acts like both particles and a wave). But to clarify, when I say it produces photons of that frequency, I don't mean the frequency with which it emits photons, I mean the frequency of the EM field oscillation.

Which it behaves like (particle or wave) depends on the context.

Yeah, that's orange, I believe.

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3

hcs

So that means that even EM fields are quantized? By this I mean to ask if the system is emitting so little power that only emits a few photons, the "Received Power is proportional to the inverse of the square distance" is no longer true?

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons dilute as 1/r^2 as well. The fact that it's quantized will make the signal more sporadic, but it won't change the time-averaged power that's received. This happens a lot in high-energy detectors (for X-rays and such) because there are many fewer photons per unit of energy in X-radiation ([tex]E=h\nu[/tex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?