Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about EM in GR

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So apparently (wiki), the manisfestly covariant form of Maxwell's equations is dF=0 and d*F=µJ for F the Faraday 2-form and J the current 3-form. My question will probably seem silly to you but I am simply wondering how does this field affect the motion of a particle of charge q in GR? Is it just [itex]m_0\nabla_{\dot{\gamma}}\dot{\gamma}=f[/itex] for some 4-force vector field f? If so, what is the 4-force f corresponding to a Faraday 2-form F? Thanks again! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

##u^a\triangledown_au^b = \frac{q}{m}F^{b}{}{}_cu^c##.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok so now I think I understand better what Einstein wanted to do in his later years. He simply wanted to get rid of F=ma altogether! He had done it for gravity and now he wanted to incorporate EM into the geometric structure as well.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

quasar you might also be interested in this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitoelectromagnetism

IMO it is one of the coolest things about GR and there is such a beautiful parallelism between EM and gravity in this context.

7. Mar 23, 2013 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is very cool WBN. Thanks for that link. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook