Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Emmy Noether

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    I am in need of Noether's paper she wrote in around 1915 about variational symmetries.

I need to know how she found that [for an ode L(x,y,y')]if an X and Y (infinitesimals) exists then you can rewrite the Euler-Lagrange Equation in terms of L(x,y,y'), X(x,y) and Y(x,y).

This is really amazing how she didn't this. So instead of solving for y(x) in the E-L equ you can just plug it in to the equation she came up with.

If anyone could find the paper she wrote that would be awesome!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    Ok, I found it. thanks anyways.(http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~cwp/lists/accDB_su.html)

Symmetry is THE most powerful tool in solving differential equations. If you are a young math major you should difinitely think about going to a school where symmetry classes are avaliable.
  4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Speaking of Emmy Noether...

Leon Lederman has written an excellent, non-technical book dedicated to symmetry in physics. It is a long-overdue, popular homage to Emmy Noether!

Symmetry and the Beautiful Universe
    by Leon M. Lederman & Christopher T. Hill​
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?