Making an EMP: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter Arsonade
  • Start date
In summary: EMP is created through a nuclear detonation, a flux compression generator, or a very time-consuming method that has not been published because I made it up.
Arsonade
I have a question about EMPs
now, i think i have made them before as i was experimenting with magents a while back (almost knocked out my calculator if i remember correctly, but what is the usuall way of making one? what determines how strong the field is? how about how large it is?
i amthinking of pulling a small prank on a friend of mine and a mini EMP would be perfect hehehe

thanks for your help

Adam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
59 Views and no replies... Aww! Okay, the 'usual' way of creating an EMP is through a nuclear detonation. No fissile material? Okay, try using a flux compression generator. Again, you'd need explosives but doesn't have to be nuclear... Or a -very- time consuming way which hasn't been published because I made it up (LoL) is to rig a large coil which can disassemble itself through non-ionic means. EG Not using acid to dissolve the coil as this would short-circuit the system and no EMP, plus it has to be done in a fraction of a second.

The EMP in any of the 'safe' types above is/would be created through a very large magnetic field having nowhere to go as an electromagnet is potentially stored current. If you suddenly break a circuit with a large magnetic field attached to it, you get a sparking effect which causes crackling on TVs, or a shock if you're stupid enough to be holding bare wires. This is caused, I think, by the magnetic field collapsing which means it's moving, which generates current, which slows the rate of collapse. In any case, if you do this along the entire coil in just more than an instant, the spark which effects TVs by inducing a small current in the wire 'stacks' into a large pulse. Well done, you've just created your first EMP.

The trouble is, cheaply, a flux compression generator is still dangerous. You have to blow the coil, with attached high capacity capacitors to maximize field strength, in a sequence traveling along the coil. Each charge has to be powerful enough to almost vaporise the part of the coil it's destroying. Plus, as a prank? I mean, if it's his computer you want to effect, I don't think he'll see the funny side as it's rendered useless. It's kinda the equivilent of running car battery terminals through all the circuitry and the mess of the explosives around the corner's going to turn some heads. And it's not going to be focused, no, so it'd be a -lot- of computers, TV's... You get the idea.

NB: A few assumptions are made here. Even if the theory behind it is wrong, the apparatus is correct. I just thought some reply is better than none for a topic as interesting as EMP's.

hehehe well this should be fun attempting to make, yeah i guess as a prank it wouldn't work out too well hehe, ill probably wind up doing what i normally do, make it, then go into a field somewhere with some electronics is don't need and see what happens hehe, quite the hobby i soppose

Adam

1. What is an EMP?

An EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is a burst of energy that can disrupt or damage electronic devices and systems.

2. How is an EMP created?

An EMP can be created by a nuclear explosion, a solar flare, or a human-made device such as a high-powered radio frequency generator.

3. What are the potential dangers of an EMP?

An EMP can cause widespread power outages, damage to electronic devices and systems, and disruptions to communication and transportation systems.

4. How can I protect my devices from an EMP?

There are various methods to protect devices from an EMP, such as using Faraday cages or surge protectors, keeping devices turned off, and having backups of important data stored in a secure location.

5. Is it possible to make my own EMP?

It is possible to create a small-scale EMP using a high-powered radio frequency generator, but it is not recommended as it can be dangerous and may violate the law.