Question about equilibrium

Homework Statement

If I have a force of 6N in the negative i hat direction and a force of 3N in the positive j hat direction , what third force will cause the object to be in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer to be the square root of 6^2+3^2 to make it like a triangle. But Im not sure if this is right and in what direction it should be pointed.

Answers and Replies

for the direction you can use trig .. let the angle of the force required from horizontal be x..then how can you find tan x in terms of known data?

Your magnitude of force is correct so you've got to worry only about direction; :smile:

The possible answers says it can be clockwise or counter clock wise I cant figure out which one. I used tan and got my degrees. But idk if the vector is pointing toward the y axis force or away from it.

try drawing the FBD and see how the forces act.

Ok I did, so the object is moving to the left and up. So the force I need will be opposite of that? And it will be the degrees below the positive x axis instead of to the right of the negative y axis, because its moving faster to the left than up?

yes ... just like 2 guys push a car from the front and other two from back!! :biggrin: