Question about exploding neutron stars

In summary: If the neutron star loses less than 3.2 solar masses, then it will continue to oscillate and eventually shed its outer layers, becoming a white dwarf.
gonzo
I have a question about the time scale for a certain type occurance causing a neturon star to explode, and a related question about the conditions of this occurrance.

If you have a binary star system with one of the stars being a neutron star, I read that if the other star sucks off enough mass from the neutron star then the NS won't have enough mass to hold itself together and will explode violently from internal pressure.

I'm interested first in what would be required in terms of orbits and relative masses for the other star to suck off mass from the neutron star instead of the other way around (thus forming, eventually, a black hole in the opposite process).

And also over what kind of time scale this might occur. By time scale I mean assume you had a sattelite probe in the system watching both stars and collecting data. What is the time evolution of the process starting with when the probe stats to notice matter flowing from the neutron star to the partner star?

As a side question, will this flow of mass give off extra energy? I assume the gas will be super heated and so give off high energy photons (Xray and higher, like the neutron star itself?), or will it glow more in the visible?

Given how fast a neutron star is likely to be rotating, how would this even "look"? Would the mass spiral out from teh star in ever larger turns until it reached the partners star sucking it up?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you have a binary star system with one of the stars being a neutron star, I read that if the other star sucks off enough mass from the neutron star then the NS won't have enough mass to hold itself together and will explode violently from internal pressure.
I believe you misread the description. The neutron star is sucking mass from its companion (usually a red giant). At some point it reaches a certain critical mass and goes supernova. This is the scenario to produce Type Ia supernova, which is an extremely bright standard candle. Studying these SN's has led to the conclusion the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

In the GR book I read it says that if a neutron star loses mass (the only way it mentions this can happen is to a binary partner) then it can pass the critical threshhol where the pressure is greater than the gravity and it becomes unstable and explodes.

It also says that if it is the neutron star that sucks mass from the binary partner, than it will eventually pass the threshold in the other direction and become a black hole.

It also says the neutron stars are the result of a supernova ... they are what's left after a star explodes (or "bounces" off the neutron star core that forms).

mathman said:
This is the scenario to produce Type Ia supernova, which is an extremely bright standard candle.
Actually, a Type Ia supernova only comes when a White Dwarf, not a neutron star, accretes matter from a companion. There are some more specifics required such as the exact carcon/oxygen composition of the WD, etc. but even in accreting white dwarf stars this (Type Ia) is very rare.

gonzo said:
In the GR book I read it says that if a neutron star loses mass (the only way it mentions this can happen is to a binary partner) then it can pass the critical threshhol where the pressure is greater than the gravity and it becomes unstable and explodes.
I have read a lot of books and papers on stellar evolution and have never heard of neutron stars losing mass to any companion star. At that huge density and surface gravity I can't think of any type of companion star that could pull mass off of a neutron star other than another neutron star or black hole, where it is possible according to one theory. But, since the surface of a neutron star is a shell of (usually) iron of extreme density, with a neutron "superfluid" inside there is no atmosphere to be lost to even a dense companion.

gonzo said:
It also says that if it is the neutron star that sucks mass from the binary partner, than it will eventually pass the threshold in the other direction and become a black hole.

It also says the neutron stars are the result of a supernova ... they are what's left after a star explodes (or "bounces" off the neutron star core that forms).
This part is exactly as described in most sources. If the neutron star passes ~3.2 solar masses by accreting matter it would collapse directly to a black hole.

Last edited:

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is the incredibly dense core of a star that has undergone a supernova explosion. It is composed almost entirely of densely packed neutrons, hence the name, and has a mass greater than that of the sun but a diameter of only about 10 kilometers.

2. How do neutron stars explode?

Neutron stars can explode in two ways: through a supernova explosion or through a merger with another neutron star. Supernova explosions occur when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses, causing a massive explosion that can leave behind a neutron star. Neutron star mergers occur when two neutron stars orbit each other and eventually collide, releasing a burst of energy and potentially creating a black hole.

3. What happens when a neutron star explodes?

When a neutron star explodes, it releases an enormous amount of energy in the form of radiation, including gamma rays, X-rays, and visible light. This explosion also creates heavy elements like gold, platinum, and uranium, which are dispersed into the universe. The explosion also leaves behind a rapidly rotating neutron star known as a pulsar.

4. Can neutron stars cause damage to Earth?

While neutron stars are incredibly powerful and can release a tremendous amount of energy when they explode, they are typically located far enough away from Earth that they do not pose a direct threat. However, if a neutron star were to explode relatively close to Earth, it could potentially cause damage to our planet through the release of high-energy radiation.

5. What can we learn from studying exploding neutron stars?

Studying exploding neutron stars can provide valuable insights into the physics of extreme environments, such as the behavior of matter under extreme pressures and temperatures. It can also help us understand the origins of heavy elements in the universe and provide clues about the evolution of galaxies. Additionally, studying neutron stars can help us test and refine our theories about the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe.