1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Exponents

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    I'm reading Basic Math & Pre Algebra for Dummies and it says...

"As you can see, the notation 2 to the power of 4 means multiply 2 by itself 4 times."

and this is written there...2 to the power of 4 = 2 X 2 X 2 X 2 = 16

Isn't that multiplied 3 times? 2 X 2 = 4 that's once. then 4 X 2 = 8 that's twice. then 8 X 2 = 16 that's three times.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

We have some trouble with language and wording. The exponent indicates the count of a number as a factor in a term.

"Two to the power of Four", "2 to the power of 4", means 2*2*2*2 = 16.
    COUNT the factors of 2. How many factors of 2 are used? The expression uses 4 factors of 2. The exponent is 4.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    2^4 means 2 multiplied with itself 4 times.

2 is called the base

4 is called the power

but..x^0 = 1 implies that x ≠ 0 ..why?
    proof?

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

PLEASE do not add your own question to someone else's thread! Start your own thread.

0x= 0 for any positive x. But x0= 1. That is, the limit as x approaches 0 of 0x is 0 while the limit, as x approaches 0 of x0 is 1. In order to have a continuous function we would want to define the value to be such a limit. Since those two limits both "represent" 00, but are different, 00 has no value.

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5

rbj

i would agree that this should be in another thread, but i'm not gonna start it.

Halls, because

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x^x = 1 [/tex]

i think most people agree that, if you were gonna assign a value of 00 to anything, it would be 1. heck, (0.000000001)0.000000001 is a lot closer to 1 than it is to 0.

7. Sep 14, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Embison! :smile:
    Yup … I agree with you! :biggrin:

But it's ok in that book …

:smile: 'cos dummies won't notice! :smile:

8. Sep 14, 2008 #7

disregardthat

Science Advisor

But this is only if the exponent and base is approaching zero at the same rate. In fact, [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \lim_{y \to 0} x^{y}[/tex] can take any value, depending on the "speed" the two variables are approaching zero with.

9. Sep 15, 2008 #8
    pardon..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?