1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about finding the area of a function with delta x

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    I am new to this subject and I don't know what its officially called. I know that we are determining the area of a section of a graph below the graph of the function from points [a,b].

When I have a question that asks something like the area of the function 1/( x^2) on the interval 5,11 I just use my Ti-89 calculator and the 'ninc' function.

However one of my questions asks for the area on the interval 0,0.7 of delta x/(1-x^2)^(1/2). How do I figure this out exactly, this doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't the area of the section under the function and above the x axis be the height times width with delta x representing width and the function being height? My other questions were in the format function times delta x, I don't know how to do with with delta x divided by the function.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
    hrm what's wrong with [tex] \frac {\Delta x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex] ? if you take the function to be [tex] \frac {1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex] then you have it in function * delta x form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?