Calculate Total Charge in Cube w/ Electric Field E = 2.0i − 3.0j

• Thread starter vande060
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the problem asks to find the total charge within a cube with sides of 0.5m centered on the origin, using the given electric field and Gauss' law.
vande060

Homework Statement

A region of space around the origin contains an electric field E = 2.0i − 3.0 j. Such a field cannot exist
in empty space. Find the total charge within a cube of side a = 0.5m centered on the origin, with its six faces
possessing normals in the six cardinal directions ±i,±j,±k.

Homework Equations

∫ E da = q/εo

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know what E is so I can plug that into gauss' law and dot that into the surface area of a side of the cube, then set that equal q/εo

I really only have to be concerned he with +/- i and +/- j
(2.0i − 3.0 j) . (+/-a2i +/-a2j) = q/εo

Is this right so far, if it is ill just solve for q, but I am not sure if I am right to this point

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to explain the problem better. Can you give us the actual wording of the problem?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You will have to explain the problem better. Can you give us the actual wording of the problem?

AM

Thanks for your response. I copied and pasted the problem word for word in my book under headline 1, I don't know how to make it clearer, that's verbatim. What i got from it was to use the electric field given, and plug that into the formula for flux(under headline 2) and solve for q.

1. How do you calculate total charge in a cube with an electric field?

To calculate total charge in a cube with an electric field, you would use the formula Q = E * V, where Q is the total charge, E is the electric field, and V is the volume of the cube.

2. What is the unit for electric field?

The unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb, which is represented as N/C.

3. How do you find the magnitude of the electric field in a cube?

To find the magnitude of the electric field in a cube, you would use the formula E = sqrt(Ex2 + Ey2 + Ez2), where Ex, Ey, and Ez are the x, y, and z components of the electric field, respectively.

4. What does the vector notation "2.0i - 3.0j" mean?

The vector notation "2.0i - 3.0j" represents an electric field with a magnitude of 2.0 in the x-direction and a magnitude of 3.0 in the y-direction. The "i" and "j" represent the unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

5. Can you calculate total charge in a cube with a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, you can still calculate total charge in a cube with a non-uniform electric field. However, you would need to use a more complex formula that takes into account the varying electric field at different points within the cube.