Question about free source RLC circuit

In summary: Otherwise it looks good.In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a free source RLC circuit and how to solve the remaining questions. The person has already solved part (a) and is now having trouble with parts (b) and (c). They have attempted to use overdamped response equations but are unsure why their answers do not match the given answers. They ask for help and mention that the circuit may be underdamped, not overdamped. They also mention using Laplace Transforms and nodal analysis as a possible approach. Later, they share their calculations and ask for help in finding their mistake. Another person responds, saying that the result looks almost okay but the exponential damping term should use the damping coefficient α
e0ne199

Homework Statement

below is my question :
Scrapbook_1492781963940.png

Homework Equations

all of the equatios used to solve this problems are equations for free source RLC circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i have solved problem (a), whose answer is -1400V/s, the problem is when i want to solve (b) and (c)
INKredible_20170430_170617.png

do you know how to solve the remaining questions?? any help is really appreciated, thanks before

Physics news on Phys.org
e0ne199 said:
do you know how to solve the remaining questions?? any help is really appreciated, thanks before
Looks like you'll need to analyze the circuit. What methods have you covered for solving second order circuits?

I calculated it to get answers (b) and (c) using overdamped response equations but i don't know why the answers i get is not the same as the answers displayed above...did you know how to solve it?
Btw the question i posted is about free source RLC circuit when it enters transient conditions

gneill said:
Looks like you'll need to analyze the circuit. What methods have you covered for solving second order circuits?
Can you help me?

e0ne199 said:
I calculated it to get answers (b) and (c) using overdamped response equations but i don't know why the answers i get is not the same as the answers displayed above...did you know how to solve it?
Btw the question i posted is about free source RLC circuit when it enters transient conditions
My intuition tells me that the circuit will be underdamped, not overdamped. A hint that this might be the case is that in part (c) they ask for the first value of t where the capacitor voltage is zero. That implies that there's at least one more, so there are oscillations.

You'll have to show how you used the standard response equations to solve the problem. It's not obvious to me how you would incorporate and account for the initial conditions (both capacitor voltage and inductor current).

Looking at the circuit, my own approach would likely be to use Laplace Transforms and nodal analysis. The Laplace transform method allows you to easily incorporate the initial conditions. If you haven't covered Laplace yet, you'll have to slog through writing and solving the differential equation.

gneill said:
My intuition tells me that the circuit will be underdamped, not overdamped. A hint that this might be the case is that in part (c) they ask for the first value of t where the capacitor voltage is zero. That implies that there's at least one more, so there are oscillations.

You'll have to show how you used the standard response equations to solve the problem. It's not obvious to me how you would incorporate and account for the initial conditions (both capacitor voltage and inductor current).

Looking at the circuit, my own approach would likely be to use Laplace Transforms and nodal analysis. The Laplace transform method allows you to easily incorporate the initial conditions. If you haven't covered Laplace yet, you'll have to slog through writing and solving the differential equation.

ah sorry i was wrong...you are right, the circuit is underdamped,sorry i didn't realize i typed a wrong circuit response...btw i have done calculations involving simple differential equations based on the book but i am unable to get solutions that fit the answers for (b) and (c)...i have done the calculations several times and check if there is anything wrong within my calculations but i am still unable to find where my mistake is...could you please help me find the way to get answer (b) and (c)?

i am really out of clue this time and i am so desperate to find the answer for this question...

You'll have to show your work so that helpers can evaluate your approach and what you've tried. Helpers cannot do the work for you, they can only offer help with work that you show.

IMG_20170523_220900.png

sorry for the late post...here is my result for part (b)...the answer is not the same as the book so do tou know what actually is the problem for my answer? thanks before

hello? anyone?

gneill said:
You'll have to show your work so that helpers can evaluate your approach and what you've tried. Helpers cannot do the work for you, they can only offer help with work that you show.
i have just posted my solution above, could you please check where the wrong is on my answer?

It's very hard to follow your handwriting (at least for me).

From what I can tell your result looks almost okay: The exponential damping term should use the damping coefficient α = 100, not an ω. Otherwise it looks good.

gneill said:
It's very hard to follow your handwriting (at least for me).

From what I can tell your result looks almost okay: The exponential damping term should use the damping coefficient α = 100, not an ω. Otherwise it looks good.
but the answer is not the same as the question i posted for the first time...do you know the real solution for this? i think my answer is still wrong...hope you (or anyone here) can help solve this with correct solution...

e0ne199 said:
View attachment 204109

sorry for the late post...here is my result for part (b)...the answer is not the same as the book so do tou know what actually is the problem for my answer? thanks before
about this...i tried to input t=1 ms and i can't get the same answer (ans: 0.695) as the question i posted before...still need a helping hand to solve this problem..

Can you show details for your calculation of the voltage at time t = 1 ms? I arrive at the correct answer when I use your expression for v(t).

gneill said:
Can you show details for your calculation of the voltage at time t = 1 ms? I arrive at the correct answer when I use your expression for v(t).
i am sorry again for the late post...
here it is :
IMG_20170604_111809.png

can you show me your answer?

gneill said:
hello? are you still there? [emoji4][emoji4]

Your handwriting is really very difficult to read. Please type out your equations or write them larger and more carefully.

From what I can tell, you must have to have made a calculator error.

perhaps this is clearer?
could you point out which one is wrong?
ep21mgWds.png

Last edited:
gneill said:
Your handwriting is really very difficult to read. Please type out your equations or write them larger and more carefully.

From what I can tell, you must have to have made a calculator error.
i have just posted my revision, could you please check it out? :)
i really want to know what mistake i have done here because i have struggled so hard to get the right answer for this :(

Just your result is incorrect. That means you have a calculator error. Check to see if your calculator is set to degrees or radians mode for the trig functions.

gneill said:
Just your result is incorrect. That means you have a calculator error. Check to see if your calculator is set to degrees or radians mode for the trig functions.
sorry for the late response again...i have checked my calculator and everything including the configuration is alright...how did you get the correct result? could you show it to me?
or could you show me the correct expression of V (t) before you put t=1ms into the expression?

e0ne199 said:
sorry for the late response again...i have checked my calculator and everything including the configuration is alright...how did you get the correct result? could you show it to me?
or could you show me the correct expression of V (t) before you put t=1ms into the expression?
Your expression looks fine. From what I can make out you have written:

##v(t) = e^{-100 t}\left(2 cos(200 t) - 6 sin(200 t) \right)##

which is correct. What you wrote for t = 1 ms also looks good. So that means you have a calculator issue.

What value do you calculate for ##2 cos(0.2)## ?

gneill said:
Your expression looks fine. From what I can make out you have written:

##v(t) = e^{-100 t}\left(2 cos(200 t) - 6 sin(200 t) \right)##

which is correct. What you wrote for t = 1 ms also looks good. So that means you have a calculator issue.

What value do you calculate for ##2 cos(0.2)## ?
the result of 2*cos (0.2) is 1.99 using my calculator (TI89 emulator)...is that wrong?

e0ne199 said:
the result of 2*cos (0.2) is 1.99 using my calculator (TI89 emulator)...is that wrong?
Yes. Looks like it's assuming an argument of degrees. Switch to radians.

gneill said:
Yes. Looks like it's assuming an argument of degrees. Switch to radians.
wow you are right...thank you so much...i really have been stuck on this for more than 2 months just to look for this solution [emoji23][emoji23]

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can store and release energy at a specific frequency.

2. What is the purpose of using a free source in an RLC circuit?

A free source in an RLC circuit is used to provide an alternating current (AC) signal at a specific frequency. This frequency is usually the resonant frequency of the circuit, and it allows the circuit to oscillate and store energy efficiently.

3. How does a free source affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

A free source can affect the behavior of an RLC circuit in various ways. It can determine the resonant frequency, affect the amplitude of the current and voltage, and change the phase relationship between current and voltage in the circuit.

4. Can a free source RLC circuit be used in real-life applications?

Yes, free source RLC circuits are commonly used in various electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power systems to maintain a stable power supply and in wireless communication systems to transmit and receive signals efficiently.

5. How can I calculate the values of R, L, and C in a free source RLC circuit?

The values of R, L, and C can be calculated using the resonant frequency (f0) of the circuit and the impedance of the components. The formula for calculating the resonant frequency is f0 = 1/(2π√(LC)), and the impedance of each component can be calculated using Ohm's law (Z = √(R^2 + (XL-XC)^2)).