1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about friction

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    In my physics book it says: "If there were no applied force (F), then Static friction force will be 0."

What confuses me is this, what if an object was sitting on a conveyer belt moving at a 30 degree angle, for instance. What causes that object to remain on the conveyer belt? obviously the friction between the object and the belt? Am i mixing up coefficient of friction and static frictional force?

thanks for your time

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Gravity then plays the role of applied force (i.e, a force from somewhere else acting upon the object ALONG the surface).

4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    yeah but what if you change the material being used for the conveyer belt? Then obviously more variables (besides the weight of the object) are introduced. Let's say that a smoother surface is used. The object will now slide down.

5. Feb 23, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How does that change gravity from being the "applied" force which was what you were asking about? :confused:

6. Feb 23, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes. That's dynamic friction. [response was to shayrgob]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  7. Feb 23, 2008 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

An addendum:
    Even if the object slides down, graviry is still to be regarded as the "applied" force.

8. Feb 23, 2008 #7
    wanna elaborate?

9. Feb 23, 2008 #8
    Sorry, Arildno already answered your question. I answered something you did not ask, so I deleted it. What I said is not wrong, its just not addressing your question. (Find out the answer to your question first, before moving on to what I said. I dont want to confuse you).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?