1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question About Friction

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Alright, we recently had a lab in class, but our teacher is gone so we didn't do part of it. Anyways, It was about friction and I just have a general question.

Let's say we have a brick sliding on a piece of paper with a constant velocity, and acceleration and net force = 0. I was just wondering on the concept if the coefficiens of kinetic friction are less than those of static friction?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Kinetic friction tends to be less than static friction, yes. But I don't know what else to say...

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    yeah thats what I was basiclly asking. Just wondering in that situation Kineitc friction would be less than the staic friction correct? And the more weight or force down on the object to bigger the value in friction correct?

5. Nov 24, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi austin1250! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

Kinetic friction is always less than static friction.

And the kinetic friction force is always proportional to the normal force. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?