Understanding Friction: Exploring Coefficients and Forces on Sliding Objects

• Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about friction and the concept that kinetic friction is always less than static friction. The conversation also mentions that the kinetic friction force is proportional to the normal force.
austin1250
Alright, we recently had a lab in class, but our teacher is gone so we didn't do part of it. Anyways, It was about friction and I just have a general question.

Let's say we have a brick sliding on a piece of paper with a constant velocity, and acceleration and net force = 0. I was just wondering on the concept if the coefficiens of kinetic friction are less than those of static friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Kinetic friction tends to be less than static friction, yes. But I don't know what else to say...

yeah that's what I was basiclly asking. Just wondering in that situation Kineitc friction would be less than the staic friction correct? And the more weight or force down on the object to bigger the value in friction correct?

austin1250 said:
yeah that's what I was basiclly asking. Just wondering in that situation Kineitc friction would be less than the staic friction correct? And the more weight or force down on the object to bigger the value in friction correct?

Hi austin1250! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

Kinetic friction is always less than static friction.

And the kinetic friction force is always proportional to the normal force. :smile:

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion or tendency towards motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces and can result in the generation of heat.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object by opposing its direction of motion. It also plays a crucial role in allowing objects to maintain their position and stay stationary.

3. What are the different types of friction?

There are three types of friction: static friction, which prevents an object from moving when a force is applied; kinetic friction, which occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other; and fluid friction, which occurs between a solid object and a fluid (such as air or water).

4. How is friction measured?

Friction is measured using a device called a force meter or spring scale. The force required to move an object against a surface is measured and compared to the weight of the object to determine the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the strength of the force of friction.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to reduce the contact and sliding resistance. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction as there are fewer microscopic irregularities to create resistance. Additionally, reducing the weight of an object can also decrease the force of friction acting on it.