What is the recommended method to reduce gamma ray exposure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of increasing gas pressure in a container on the blackening of a photographic plate by a gamma ray source. It is suggested that increasing gas pressure may result in less photons hitting the plate and therefore less blackening. However, the accuracy of this statement is questioned and it is noted that gamma rays do not lose energy through ionizing air molecules. The conversation also mentions using shielding to reduce gamma ray flux.
Clara Chung
A gamma ray source emits gamma ray to a photographic plate in a container. The book said the blacked region on the photographic plate wouldn't be affected if the gas pressure of the container was increased.
However, I think that the gamma ray will ionise more air molecules and lose more energy though ionising air molecules. Therefore, the photographic film will be hit by less photons of gamma ray and blackened less.
Am I right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
A gamma ray source emits gamma ray to a photographic plate in a container. The book said the blacked region on the photographic plate wouldn't be affected if the gas pressure of the container was increased.
Which book?
What is the significance of the blacked part of the photographic plate?
I cannot tell what the book is talking about without a more detailed description.

However, I think that the gamma ray will ... lose more energy though ionising air molecules. Therefore, the photographic film will be hit by less photons of gamma ray and blackened less.
Am I right or wrong?
...the bolded part is incorrect. Gamma rays do not lose energy from ionizing air molecules the way a massive charged particle does. Instead, gamma photons are either allowed to pass or absorbed completely by an atom it gets close to. The ray does lose more photons in denser air though... so what you want to consider is how dense the air would have to get for the weakened flux to show up on the plate?

What does it usually take to reduce gamma ray flux? What do people normally use for shielding?

Likes Clara Chung

What are gamma rays?

Gamma rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation that have high energy and short wavelengths. They are typically emitted from radioactive decay or nuclear reactions.

What are the properties of gamma rays?

Gamma rays have no mass or charge and travel at the speed of light. They have the highest energy and shortest wavelength of all electromagnetic radiation.

How are gamma rays used in science?

Gamma rays are used in various fields of science, such as medicine, astronomy, and nuclear physics. They are used in cancer treatment, to sterilize medical equipment, and to study the universe and its origins.

How are gamma rays detected?

Gamma rays are detected using instruments such as Geiger counters, scintillation counters, and gamma cameras. These instruments detect the ionizing effects of gamma rays and convert them into electrical signals.

What are the potential dangers of gamma rays?

Gamma rays can be harmful to living organisms due to their high energy and ability to penetrate through materials. Exposure to high levels of gamma rays can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to radiation sickness or even death.