Exploring the Relationship between Gas and Volume

In summary: If you increase the pressure on a gas, it will not fill its available volume at equilibrium but will instead fill a smaller volume and at a higher pressure.
f24u7
Hi, I have a few question about gas and its volume

1. How to define the volume of gas (is it the sum of the volume of each atom)?

2. If ideal gas does not consider atom to occupy space, then how does it accounts for
the basic definition of temperature (the collision of atoms)

3. What is the deviations between ideal gas and real gas ( I really don't get this even
though I read the textbook several times, I will assume that the attraction between
atoms must play a big role in the deviations for I don't see the relations between the
deviations and finite volume)

Physics news on Phys.org
f24u7 said:
1. How to define the volume of gas (is it the sum of the volume of each atom)?

Voulme of atoms is constant, so this sum will be constant as well. Obviously it is not, so this definition sounds incorrect.

2. If ideal gas does not consider atom to occupy space, then how does it accounts for the basic definition of temperature (the collision of atoms)

I am not sure if I follow - temperature is not directly related to collisions. It is related to average energy of the gas atoms (molecules). Could be you have no idea to collide two atoms that don't have a size - you may try to imagine they interact like identical charges, repelling itself.

3. What is the deviations between ideal gas and real gas ( I really don't get this even though I read the textbook several times, I will assume that the attraction between
atoms must play a big role in the deviations for I don't see the relations between the
deviations and finite volume)

If atoms (molecules) don't have intrinsic volume, gas can be compressed into as small volume as you wish, you just have to use pressure high enough. However, if they have some intrinsic volume, at some point increasing the pressure will not change volume of the substance, its compressibility will abruptly change from close to 1 to much closer to zero. That's the end of ideality.

if my assumption for number 1 is incorrect then how do we define the volume of gas ( the space in which the gas is allow to move? then wouldn't it be infinity ?)

f24u7 said:
if my assumption for number 1 is incorrect then how do we define the volume of gas ( the space in which the gas is allow to move? then wouldn't it be infinity ?)

Yes; at equilibrium a gas fills its available volume.

What is the relationship between gas and volume?

The relationship between gas and volume is known as Boyle's Law, which states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure increases and vice versa.

How does temperature affect the volume of a gas?

According to Charles's Law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant pressure. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases and vice versa. However, this relationship only holds true if the pressure and amount of gas remain constant.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it used to calculate volume?

The ideal gas law is a combination of Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Avogadro's Law. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. This equation can be rearranged to solve for volume by dividing both sides by P, giving the equation V = (nRT)/P. This formula is used to calculate the volume of a gas under ideal conditions.

How does the volume of a gas change with altitude?

The volume of a gas decreases as altitude increases due to the decrease in air pressure. This is because there is less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the gas molecules, causing them to spread out and occupy a larger volume. This effect is known as the ideal gas law and is an important consideration for activities like scuba diving and high-altitude mountaineering.

What is the difference between absolute and standard volume?

Absolute volume refers to the actual volume of a gas, while standard volume is a standardized measurement of volume used in scientific experiments and calculations. Standard volume is typically measured at a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1 atmosphere. It is often used to compare the volume of different gases under the same conditions.