Why Do We Consider External Electric Fields in Gauss' Law Calculations?

In summary: Gaussian surface. Then, the flux through theGaussian surface will be the sum of the fluxes through each of the individual pieces of the outside charge.
swirlydragon
According to Gauss Law, we only consider charges which are inside the surface to produce net flux.
We disregard the charges outside the surface because they produce zero net flux (as the electric field lines enter the surface and leave the surface producing zero net flux)
My question is, since we don't consider the charges outside the surface to produce flux then why do we consider the electric field of those charges when solving Gauss Law problems?
In the formula, we consider only the charges inside the Gaussian surface but when it comes to electric field, we consider electric field caused by all the charges (whether they be inside or outside the Gaussian surface). Why?
main-qimg-0984e30591a0778448038088e6a03223-c.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
swirlydragon said:
According to Gauss Law, we only consider charges which are inside the surface to produce net flux.
We disregard the charges outside the surface because they produce zero net flux (as the electric field lines enter the surface and leave the surface producing zero net flux)
My question is, since we don't consider the charges outside the surface to produce flux then why do we consider the electric field of those charges when solving Gauss Law problems?
In the formula, we consider only the charges inside the Gaussian surface but when it comes to electric field, we consider electric field caused by all the charges (whether they be inside or outside the Gaussian surface). Why?
main-qimg-0984e30591a0778448038088e6a03223-c.jpg
You can divide the integral in two parts since the electric field can be considered as the sum of two components. One produced by the charge inside and the other produced by charges outside let's say Ein and Eout. The integral of Eout will be cero so Gauss law will only help you to get the value of Ein but it doesn't mean tha Eout doesn't exists.

Likes swirlydragon
@Diegor
Ok I understand that, but if what you say is true then if I don't consider electric field by the outside charge in the above formula then it should also not change the result because the result is zero anyway. So does that mean I can solve Gauss Law numericals without considering the electric field by the outside charge?
Thnx for replying

Consider two point charges of the same sign that are separated by some small distance d.

These two points will repel each other in a way described by the coulombic interaction of their electric fields.

Draw an enclosed surface that surrounds one point charge but not the other. Call the enclosed charge point A.

Imagine the field lines. The lines of point A will exit the surface. No matter what shape the surface is or anything like that, they ALL exit, so long as the surface is enclosed.

Now consider the second point charge. Some of its field lines may enter the surface, but they will all exit the same surface too, eventually. So the NET FLUX for charges outside the surface is zero. Its not that there is zero flux.

I hope this helps.

swirlydragon said:
@Diegor
Ok I understand that, but if what you say is true then if I don't consider electric field by the outside charge in the above formula then it should also not change the result because the result is zero anyway. So does that mean I can solve Gauss Law numericals without considering the electric field by the outside charge?
Thnx for replying
You can use Gauss law to calculate the field produced by internal charges. Then you will have to use another method (for ex. Coulomb law or gauss law but with another surface) to calculate the field produced by external charges and finally sum both fields to get the total electric field. Usually Gauss law is usefull when there is certain simetry in the electric field.

An simple example where you can see this is getting E field between two parallel plates of a capacitor. There gauss law is used two times with two separated closed surfaces that share one side or face that is where the field is to be calculated. In the web you can find it it's a very common example.

Last edited:
swirlydragon said:
@Diegor
Thnx for replying
The point is, the flux of the electric field through a closed surface depends only on the enclosed charge. If you have charges outside the closed surface as well, the ##\mathbf{E}## field accommodates the outside charges as well as the ones inside, but the flux still remains only a function of the enclosed charge.

Now, to answer your question, what you can do is use the principle of superposition. Pretend that the charges outside the Gaussian surface don't exist, and then use Gauss's law to calculate the E-field solely due to the enclosed charge. Then add to this field the vector sum of whatever E-field the outside charges generate.

What is Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What is the significance of Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is significant because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point using the distribution of charges in a given region. It also helps us understand the electric field in terms of the charge distribution and can be used to determine the behavior of electric fields in various situations.

How is Gauss' law mathematically expressed?

Gauss' law can be expressed mathematically as ∮SE ⋅ dA = Qenc0, where ∮SE ⋅ dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenc is the total charge enclosed by the surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the difference between Gauss' law and Coulomb's law?

Gauss' law and Coulomb's law are both fundamental laws in electromagnetism, but they describe different aspects of the relationship between charges and electric fields. Coulomb's law describes the force between two point charges, while Gauss' law relates the electric field to the distribution of charges in a given region.

What are some real-world applications of Gauss' law?

Gauss' law has many practical applications, including determining the electric field inside a charged parallel plate capacitor, analyzing the electric field of a point charge, and understanding the electric field of a charged conducting sphere. It is also used in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and antennas.