1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Geometry

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ABC be a right angled triangle such that A=90, AB=AC and let M be the mid point of the side AC. Take the point P on the side BC so that AP is vertical to BM. Let H be the intersection of AP ad BM.

Find the ratio BP : PC.

2. Relevant equations

AB=AC
    AM = MC

BP : PC = ?

See the problem here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Qc1Z3hIcYO4/SgbXNoa555I/AAAAAAAABPM/ruupwSz5EoE/s1600-h/bp_pc.JPG.

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew parallel lines, and I found some interesting connections. I am very close to the answer, but I still cannot find it.

Please, see the attachment "parallel_lines.jpg".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. May 10, 2009 #3
  5. May 10, 2009 #4
    Mass points kill this problem in about 2 seconds. Assign mass 2 to points C and A, so point M has mass 4. Using the fact that BAM ~ BFA ~ AFM, you can find that BF/FM = 4, so point B has mass 1. Thus, BP/CP = [ C ]/[ B ] = 2:1 (where [ ] denotes mass).

If you don't know what mass points are, you should go learn about them immediately. (They're awesome.)

6. May 13, 2009 #5
    Great thanks for the awesome tip!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook